Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my strobostomp since early August, and overall I'm very pleased with it, even with my mediocre ear I can tell that I'm getting more in tune than with a needle type tuner. Thing is, I cannot get the bars to stop moving on some strings and its bugging the hell out of me :lol: On an average day I can get it to stay still on about 3 of the strings and the others are really close. Any advice for getting it more exact? Even with a perfectly set up floyd using fine tuners its difficult to get it to exactly stay still. Also, I wish that the strobostomp had a mode where it showed the actual HZ reading, as I feel I good get more exact with that (like the g tune plugin), is this an option and I am just missing it?

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
You said it all when you said you had a Floyded guitar. Every time you pick on a full floater, the strings are going to warble slightly in and out of tune. Petersons are so sensitive that they pick up that warble, so you have to wait for it to calm down first. Bars that continually move back and forth are also a good indicator of a string buzzing off the top of a fret, and has become very useful to me in precisely dialing in neck bow and individual string action.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You said it all when you said you had a Floyded guitar. Every time you pick on a full floater, the strings are going to warble slightly in and out of tune. Petersons are so sensitive that they pick up that warble, so you have to wait for it to calm down first. Bars that continually move back and forth are also a good indicator of a string buzzing off the top of a fret, and has become very useful to me in precisely dialing in neck bow and individual string action.
Damn, thats what the warbling means? I can't even hear the buzz :lol: I just figured it meant the string was super close to being in tune :lol:

I don't think its the floyd, cause I still can't get it to stay exactly still with a t-no :lol: Maybe I just don't have the fine motor control.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
OH man. :lol:

A Strobe can drive you crazy. I can get it ALMOST stable, but as Dave points out, the very act of picking a note throws it off - the pick "stretches" the string as it passes through, which 1.) pulls the note initially slightly sharp, and 2.) changes the balance between the strings and the trem springs, which makes the trem pull the string back, oscillating slightly sharp initially.

I usually either pick SUPER lightly, or just brush the string with the tip of my thumb, and then wait until the note "settles in" to the sustain.

Also worth a try - the harmonic overtones can screw with the tuner a bit too. Try tuning on your neck pickup with the tone knob all the way down. It'll roll a lot of them out and give you a "purer" signal to work with.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OH man. :lol:

A Strobe can drive you crazy. I can get it ALMOST stable, but as Dave points out, the very act of picking a note throws it off - the pick "stretches" the string as it passes through, which 1.) pulls the note initially slightly sharp, and 2.) changes the balance between the strings and the trem springs, which makes the trem pull the string back, oscillating slightly sharp initially.

I usually either pick SUPER lightly, or just brush the string with the tip of my thumb, and then wait until the note "settles in" to the sustain.

Also worth a try - the harmonic overtones can screw with the tuner a bit too. Try tuning on your neck pickup with the tone knob all the way down. It'll roll a lot of them out and give you a "purer" signal to work with.
I think its mainly the "driving me crazy" part :lol: I'm sure its acceptably in tune for any musical application, but damn it, if I can get more precise I want it even more in tune.

And yeah, I tried the neck pickup/pick with your thumb/tone knb all the way down/volume halway down/etc. and it helps a bit.

I'm also pretty sure most bridge pick attack is somewhat sharp :lol: I didn't really care about it till I got the peterson though :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Once my tuner is happy (not a strobe but very accurate, Boss TU-12 or Axe-Fx) I generally finish it off by ear, playing octaves and simple chords in a few problematic areas and tempering the tuning to my liking. Try not to obsess over the needle.:vince:

I've seen the man use the needle
Seen the needle use the man!

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:lol:

The strobostomp doesn't have a needle, its a row of bars that move up or down indicating flat/sharp.

But yeah, I am OCD about a number of things in my rig. I'm still distressed that my floyd nut shims are robbing my tone :scream:

Its a serious problem :(

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Yep, I've always used the neck pickup, but with the tone full on, and picking right above the 12th fret to get rid of a lot of the overtones like you said. That seems to do the trick for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts