Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I kinda need your opinions or thoughts about this one.

I've had my rivera for a year and a month, started rehersing with it on the last 6 months
at least once a week, I'm also playing on it at home daily with the fx loop on(attenuates the power tubes).

It sounded really flubby and undefined in that rehersal,
I tried setting treble\presence and mids even at 7 and taking the bass down to 2.5,
still sounded really flubby, I'm using a maxon od-9 with it.

My question is, could it be because I need to replace my power tubes allready?
I'm having 2 6L6's in there, never replaced them, and while the amp isnt really
tight sounding in general, it never sounded as bad as it did today.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Quite possibly. How many hours do you play daily?

The good news is a pair of 6L6s will set you back maybe $50 tops, so it's pretty affordable to find out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but I'm actually planning on moving to el-34's so it would cost abit more than that
since I need to take it to a tech for a rebias.

I play around 3 hours a day, maybe abit less with the amp.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
What's the weather like right now? I know that high humidity just kills the sound of anything, much in the way you are describing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's actually started to get very hot in Israel lately.
Youre thinking it might be the weather? What can I actually do about it?

Btw - the other guitar player had a roadster, that functioned perfectly fine.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I would definitely try power tubes first, since if you're running them hard quite often, than six months isn't out of the question. Especially if you don't know how old they were when you bought the amp. If you're in Israel, though, I doubt the humidity is an issue.

As for what you can do about humidity? Not a damn thing, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
There's actually alot of humidity right now, thats how it is here in the summer.
Sorry, I am a geographical moron. I thought Israel was in the middle of a desert. I guess you're near the ocean? If so, then you just have to deal with it, it is the nature of physics. You're experiencing the effects of sound being slowed down as it moved through denser air.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sorry, I am a geographical moron. I thought Israel was in the middle of a desert. I guess you're near the ocean? If so, then you just have to deal with it, it is the nature of physics. You're experiencing the effects of sound being slowed down as it moved through denser air.
There is more climate variation in the NJ-sized country of Israel then there is on the entire Eastern Seaboard of the US :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
13 months on power tubes is a good run if you're using it that much. Replace them all immediately before they go pop. They can blow things like screen grid resistors when they do, and if there is an audible difference they usually don't have much life left.

However, if that doesn't fix the problem, you'll still have a spare set of tubes. Don't know how easy it is to bias a Rivera but you can do it yourself if you're careful and get the right tools. :yesway:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I'll buy a set of el34's and see how it's going.
Thanks everyone, I truely appreciate this, you are a great community (-:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.