Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

My name is S.G, I've been searching for a forum in recent months for extreme metal playing. I'm not a beginner by any means, but there are always new things to learn.

I practice using Guitar Pro 5, thinking of possibly upgrading to 6 (better sounds) and I may start using a slow downer program in addition to that. I've never been really big on theory, but am not opposed to learning some of it if it will help me (though I will do so begrudgingly :jokes:)

Also I am interested in learning the names to certain scales, and perhaps how to play them more efficiently? That may sound very n00b to some, but traditionally I've always played by ear. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to get certain rudiments down.

I'd also like to learn how to do sweeps as they look and sound awesome.

Fav bands/artists I am actively trying to emulate include:

Death, Watain, Dissection, Emperor...

other recent favs I've come across have been The Chasm, Sacrilege B.C., Thy Primordial, Vindensang (also from PA) and many others.

Thanks for the message board. Looking forward to your assistance and also to helping others out.

S.G. :metal:

(also, if there are any users interested in sharing gp5 files that may be hard to find, I would be interested in that.)

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:welcome:
What guitars/gear are you using?
Thanks and thanks!

Currently I am using a G&L Legacy as my main electric (with Dimarzio fast tracks in the neck and middle position and X2N in the bridge)

and Genz-Benz Diablo 60w tube head and 2x12 cab. I also use a Boss Line Selector and sometimes play through a 200w Randall solid state on a 4x12 simultaneously but haven't been doing that lately. Thinking about downsizing and selling trading stuff to buy

an ENGL Invader or Powerball head
new Ibanez guitar (i like the Giger series kind of, I might be wrong for that)
or Dean Vendetta 4f

also a lot of my playing traditionally has included heavy use of a Moog Phaser but sort of moving away from that lately.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Vince (one of the mods here) has a Geiger Ibby, and I have it's bastard cousin w/o the graphics. They aren't bad guitars, but the bridges are complete and utter trash, as are the stock pickups. If you pick one up, plan on spending a few hundred on upgrades.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GP6 is fucking buggy and annoying, FYI. Do you have the RSE for 5.0? Makes good sounds...

:welcome: (Malvern)
hey,
no, i must not. just clicked the sound drop down menu and see where it says use RSE, but that is not selectable. will have to look into that, thanks for pointing it out.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vince (one of the mods here) has a Geiger Ibby, and I have it's bastard cousin w/o the graphics. They aren't bad guitars, but the bridges are complete and utter trash, as are the stock pickups. If you pick one up, plan on spending a few hundred on upgrades.
yeah, that often seems to be the case with things like that. some are kind of neat looking, though. wouldn't be a bad thing to have around.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Fav bands/artists I am actively trying to emulate include:

Death, Watain, Dissection, Emperor...

other recent favs I've come across have been The Chasm, Sacrilege B.C., Thy Primordial, Vindensang (also from PA) and many others.
Wow, you're the only person I've seen here mention Vindensang as an artist you like, plus lots of black metal! Great choices and hails from another black metal enthusist! :metal:

Favorite Emperor album? I'd say mine is Anthems or Prometheus.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
:welcome:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Wow, you're the only person I've seen here mention Vindensang as an artist you like, plus lots of black metal! Great choices and hails from another black metal enthusist! :metal:

Favorite Emperor album? I'd say mine is Anthems of Prometheus.
You must mean OR, not OF :lol:

I've always been a fan of Anthems.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Favorite Emperor album? I'd say mine is Anthems or Prometheus.
I would say Anthems or In the Nightside Eclipse, but they're also the only ones I ever listened to! lol. IX Equilibrium and Prometheus I'll have to give a try soon.

Found a really good gp5 file for Alsvarth (the Oath) but a really shitty one for Ye Entrancemperium. It said it was a step down. That can't be right. The best riffs in that song are really easy to figure out anyhow but still.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I would say Anthems or In the Nightside Eclipse, but they're also the only ones I ever listened to! lol. IX Equilibrium and Prometheus I'll have to give a try soon.

Found a really good gp5 file for Alsvarth (the Oath) but a really shitty one for Ye Entrancemperium. It said it was a step down. That can't be right. The best riffs in that song are really easy to figure out anyhow but still.
Those two are classic black metal albums. IX and Prometheus are great, IX has a more death metal feel, and Prometheus has a very progressive feel.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you mentioned liking Vindensang, you might be aware that the main guy from Vindensang collaborated on the latest Agalloch record. Get to see Agalloch next month in NYC!

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Jeff Neblock writes some amazing music. You lucky bastard! I managed to see Agalloch in Sept of 2009. That was the best concert I have ever been to. If you get a chance to talk to any of the guys, they are super cool and know a ton of great music to check out!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts