Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just upgraded my OS from Vista to Windows 7 & my Western Digital MyBook external hard drive isn't being recognized. I contacted Western Digital customer service & I get an email back saying this hard drive isn't compatible with Windows 7. :mad:

Now I'm irritated since all my music, video & photos are on this drive. I guess I have to somehow reinstall vista, buy another external hard drive, transfer everything over, then reinstall 7. :noway:

Are all external hard drives this way or is this some proprietary BS from Western Digital?

So, can someone recommend a nice 1-2TB external hard drive that won't do this in the future?

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

What model is it? I have a WD external that gave me the same issue. I just transferred my data elsewhere and reformatted it in 7. Worked fine.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Have you done some forum scrounging for info? Always my first resort when nothing makes sense with stupid hardware bullshit, like when my mobo wouldn't accept two sticks of RAM until I found these very specific timings to use with it because the memory controller was a piece of poo.

Just as we're the magnet-sniffing metal guitar pros, there are people equally obsessed with these exact problems with computers. :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
It's gotta be some proprietary WD stuff in the actual device, there's no way any normal external hard drive wouldn't be supported...

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Windows 7 Ultimate recognized my WD MyBook or whatever in the hell it's called, but ironically it doesn't recognize at all another external drive I have that says Pinafarina on it (I forget who makes it...)

That's a bummer, man. That must be a real PITA. Luckily mine worked okay. It's an older 500 gig model.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
If worse comes to worse, you can burn a Ubuntu/xbuntu live cd, boot in to it, and see if that detects your drive. If so, you can just transfer everything to your Win7 hard drive from there.

Saves you from reinstalling Vista.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
you could also pop the drive out of the enclosure and just install it into your computer like a normal drive and the copy from there. IIRC the problem isnt the drive just thr=e controller that us in the enclosure

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Soopah for the suggestion. I'll give that a go when I get home from work.

If worse comes to worse, you can burn a Ubuntu/xbuntu live cd, boot in to it, and see if that detects your drive. If so, you can just transfer everything to your Win7 hard drive from there.

Saves you from reinstalling Vista.
What's ubuntu/xbuntu???
[action=shannon]is sadly not a comp guru.[/action]

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Ugh.....WD Drive Management software is a COMPLETE pain in the ass.....I can try to dig up a fix later when I'm not at work.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Thanks Soopah for the suggestion. I'll give that a go when I get home from work.

What's ubuntu/xbuntu???
[action=shannon]is sadly not a comp guru.[/action]
Linux operating systems.

http://www.xubuntu.org/

It's the smaller version of ubuntu (No need for ubuntu if you only need it for a few minutes, right?)

Their website will walk you through burning the startup disk for xubuntu, and then you just need to restart your computer with the CD in your drive, and boot in to it the same way you did with the Windows 7 cd when you upgraded.

You'll have the option to try xubuntu, as oppose to installing it. This will give you access to the xubuntu operating system from the cd. Once you're in, plug in your external HD, and see if it detects it. If it does, then just cut and paste everything in to your Documents folder on your Windows 7 hard drive (Which will be searchable from xubuntu, just like your external hard drive was under Vista.)

It really is a lot easier than it sounds. So long as xubuntu detects your external HD properly.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Also, don't ever buy a hard drive that has proprietary bullshit included. Over the holidays I had to try and get my mothers external working on a new computer, and it was a complete clusterfuck.

External Hard drives should just plug in, and work. No one should need that shit that is meant to hold your hand through a backup process.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Exactly. Hard drives should just... work. Any of that extra "value added" stuff – proprietary controllers, hardware and drivers – just gets in the way.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts