Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a track where two rhythm guitars panned 100% L/R first play the same riff, and then guitar 2 plays a harmonized version (guitar 1 repeats the original riff). How do you usually pan that? Keep them 100% L/R?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I usually view as I would with my standard amount of guitars. I double track on both sides (2 on the left, 2 on the right) all rhythms, so I tend to have the left sound normal, and right side the harmonized version.

If you are doing just guitar track each side, I wouldn't add extra tracks for the harmonized parts as it'll give a jump in volume and alter the tone just for that bit, then drop out again.

Thats my approach anyway.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I keep them panned 100% left for one guitar and 100% right for the other guitar.

A good example of that:

3:49 - 3:57 : Unison riff
3:57 - 4:07 : Harmonized riff

As just one example.

If you're only listening to the music through one speaker, you're obviously not going to get the harmony... but if you're only listening through one speaker, you have more serious problems than that to deal with. :squint:

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
If you're only listening to the music through one speaker, you're obviously not going to get the harmony... but if you're only listening through one speaker, you have more serious problems than that to deal with. :squint:
While this is of course very true, it depends on what you are going to do with that recording: If you for example plan on doing a video for said song, and want it to be shown on TV, i would recommend to make a harmony track on each side - most stations dont send it in "real" stereo...

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help!

First google hit on harmonized riffs was "Metal bands who play harmonized riffs and fills are teh ghey" though... Maybe I should rethink my song :rofl:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.