Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turns out I need stompbox functionality with my FCB1010 and AFX badly. I looked at the fractal midi controller and was in total GAS mode until I saw the $700 price tag.

I know it is possible to chip the FCB1010 so that you can have stompbox functionality, but I am not sure if it works well or if it is worth it at all. Do any of you have experience with this?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I have an UnO chip in mine and it's amazing. :yesway:

EDIT: To elaborate, I was using mine with a BOSS GX700 and a couple other rack units I've swapped in and out over time.

I'm not doing much MIDI stuff these days but when I was using it, I had the top row of the FCB setup to call presets and the bottom pedals setup as 'stompboxes'. At the time, the deal was that you could scroll through banks for the preset buttons (with the up-and-down) but the five bottom 'stomboxes' stayed the same regardless of what bank you're in. That didn't matter to me much because I just wanted to be able to do the basic stuff (turn on delay, mute, etc.) but it's worth mentioning. Dunno if they've updated the capabilities since then.

Programming from the pedal itself is impossibly difficult. I think I figured it out over time but it's not easy. The PC programmer, however, is very easy to use.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I have an UnO chip in mine and it's amazing. :yesway:

EDIT: To elaborate, I was using mine with a BOSS GX700 and a couple other rack units I've swapped in and out over time.

I'm not doing much MIDI stuff these days but when I was using it, I had the top row of the FCB setup to call presets and the bottom pedals setup as 'stompboxes'. At the time, the deal was that you could scroll through banks for the preset buttons (with the up-and-down) but the five bottom 'stomboxes' stayed the same regardless of what bank you're in. That didn't matter to me much because I just wanted to be able to do the basic stuff (turn on delay, mute, etc.) but it's worth mentioning. Dunno if they've updated the capabilities since then.

Programming from the pedal itself is impossibly difficult. I think I figured it out over time but it's not easy. The PC programmer, however, is very easy to use.
So you can only control the same 5 functions (CC#'s) for every preset?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you can only control the same 5 functions (CC#'s) for every preset?
I think you can set which 5 stompboxes you can control for each patch. That said, I am going to go for it.

15 Euros is much cheaper than $700. There is just no way I can spend $700 bucks right now.

Really, the cause for this is that there were some complaints about some of my solos at church, which weren't very intense solos at all. I've had dozens of compliments on them as well, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease and so forth.

Therefore, I need to do the more effects laden leads. Dotted eight note stuff. I need a tap tempo and a way to turn an overdrive pedal and delays on an off.

I am not a big effects guy, but I guess I need to change the way I do things for this.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
At the time I had it, that was the limitation, yeah.

But that was literally the first generation with stompbox functionality (I got it several years ago), so I wouldn't be surprised if it's evolved since then. I seem to remember an update later on that allowed you different CC's per preset but that's just speculation.

EDIT: :ninja:'d

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Just get an MFC101 man. The thing kicks absolute ass.
I looked at the fractal midi controller and was in total GAS mode until I saw the $700 price tag.
I hate this about the MIDI controller market right now. There is a complete lack of reasonably priced units with two rows of buttons that aren't pieces of shit. Either you're stuck with one of those 4 patch jobs, that completely fragile Behringer, or the NASA command center on your floorboard. I want the middle ground between the two.

RJM is the perfect example of what I'm talking about:

There is a whole bunch of us semi-professional musicians that can't fit a unit the size of Fractal's into the place we play, but need more than four or five patches. I've got one of these, but the longer I own it, the more I hate the buttons:

I want what I already have, but with the metal switches that are on the other units.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Behringer is actually pretty robust, except for the expression pedals which suck, but I can buy one to go directly to the AFX. With the chip, it should fix the issues with the FCB1010, which is it's preset only operation.

That said, the Fractal one is just pure awesome, but $700 is very, very expensive.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I think you can set which 5 stompboxes you can control for each patch. That said, I am going to go for it.

15 Euros is much cheaper than $700. There is just no way I can spend $700 bucks right now.

Really, the cause for this is that there were some complaints about some of my solos at church, which weren't very intense solos at all. I've had dozens of compliments on them as well, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease and so forth.

Therefore, I need to do the more effects laden leads. Dotted eight note stuff. I need a tap tempo and a way to turn an overdrive pedal and delays on an off.

I am not a big effects guy, but I guess I need to change the way I do things for this.
I think you can only choose the 5 CC#'s for the stompboxes. They cannot be changed on a per patch basis. So in the AFX you will need to re assign the CC's for each effect in each patch.

Also yeah shred solos are cool but church needs flowy leads with lots of delay. people always compliment me more when I just play a simple lead with medium gain and lots of delay that just follows the chords.

When I do work up a more shred solo it always gets the other four guitar players in the audience but people dont care.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
The Behringer is actually pretty robust, except for the expression pedals which suck, but I can buy one to go directly to the AFX.
YMMV but I tore that thing the fuck up gigging, which is the same experience plenty of others have told me. The buttons eventually just stop working, one by one. You get what you pay for. :shrug:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you can only choose the 5 CC#'s for the stompboxes. They cannot be changed on a per patch basis. So in the AFX you will need to re assign the CC's for each patch.

Also yeah shred solos are cool but church needs flowy leads with lots of delay. people always compliment me more when I just play a simple lead with medium gain and lots of delay that just follows the chords.

When I do work up a more shred solo it always gets the other four guitar players in the audience but people dont care.
I know that it can only send out the same 5 CCs, but in my AFX I can assign that to whatever block I want, per patch.

And also, I am not even talking shred solos in church, but I guess stuff like wide vibrato is too much. I'm actually not too happy about it, because half of the fun I had was to create melodic and emotion driven solos in lieu of 4 notes that aren't even chord tones with delay on them, but alas, those days are over.

Anyway, I am hoping I can have fun getting into the effects to replace that, but I've never much cared for effects.

I also want to get an expression pedal. Chris, you like the Mission SP-1, right? I'd like one that I could use for either volume or wah, but I want a switch for the wah, and I am not sure how well that would work for volume. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
IIRC Mission makes both switched and switchless expression pedals, for exactly the reason you specified.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IIRC Mission makes both switched and switchless expression pedals, for exactly the reason you specified.
Yeah, I know. I would just rather buy one that I could use for both instead of sinking money into two. I don't think I would ever have a patch with volume and wah. I guess I could just footswitch each one on and then go to the expression pedal.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
What do you need a volume pedal for? If you're looking to do swells, then nothing beats having a real volume pedal as the first thing in your chain.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.