Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a fan of the Carvin X100b amps and have owned two in the past. I need another 50-100w amp like I need a hole in the head, but the Carvin x1 pedal might fill a niche in my gear. It supposed to be the preamp section of an x100b in pedal form, with a few goodies like speaker emulated out and headphones. I could use it as a distortion pedal, a preamp run into the return of an FX loop on another amp, or most importantly for me, for a late night headphone amp and a recording direct-to-interface. I like the idea. Anyone tried it in person - or its brother the Vai pedal?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the clips I've heard of the Vai pedal sounded like fucking trash.
I haven't listened to it. I was more interested in the X1, which sounds pretty good in the clips I've heard. I just asked about the Vai because I think they're similar products in conception. But that's too bad.

I'm hoping Carvin can get up and running with a full line of amps and such again. It seemed to me they made good stuff at a fair price. They probably could have marketed better, but I don't know...

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I had an X100b back in college, and I mostly remember not being able to get as much gain as I wanted out of it. That, and the clean channel still being really clean no matter how loud I cranked it.

Not sure how that translates into pedal form...

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Same here, my X100-B would knock down a building before you got killer gain out of it. Maybe just find a Jemini pedal.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Every Carvin I've tried has this fuzzy, fizzy, undefined sound to it that I'm not a fan of.

There's much better options out there in terms of preamp pedals.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Every Carvin I've tried has this fuzzy, fizzy, undefined sound to it that I'm not a fan of.
I agree in terms of other Carvins I tried, but that wasn't my X100b at all. It sounded great, but it maxed out at about Allman Brothers gain levels, when I was looking for a Sabbath-ish sound. I ended up putting a Rat in front of it--which was fine but doesn't suggest anything you'd want in a preamp pedal!

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
X100B is a fantastic amp, and I loved the Legacy 1. The preamp pedal version just sounds like hot garbage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I agree in terms of other Carvins I tried, but that wasn't my X100b at all. It sounded great, but it maxed out at about Allman Brothers gain levels, when I was looking for a Sabbath-ish sound. I ended up putting a Rat in front of it--which was fine but doesn't suggest anything you'd want in a preamp pedal!
My X100bs were both the later fuzzy carpet version with the "hot rod" feature. Even before the hot rod feature was engaged, they had more gain than you describe - at least un-modded jcm800 territory in terms of quantity of gain. However, they aren't competing with modern hi-gain amps by any means. I remember back in my college days wishing it was a bit gainier. However, I still like the tone that I got out of that when I listen to the few recordings I have.

I keep thinking I might pick up an x60 1x12 combo - they're uncommon, but often cheap. A Smaller 1x12 combo like that might be nice.

This is the review that intrigued me most about this:

·
Look what I can do
498 Posts
I wish I had never sold my x100b. It was my first tube amp, didn’t know a whole hell of a lot about tone at the time but I did know that it was really tough to pull any really brutal tones out of it.

That clean channel was killer though, and I really want to hear the lead channel again now that it’s almost 15 years later. Oh well

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The X100B was basically a JCM800, right?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The X100B was basically a JCM800, right?
It's higher gain channel is often compared to a JCM800. The x100b could either have 6l6 or el34 tubes, had 2 channels - a very clean channel with a lot of headroom, and the OD channel, which had a "hot rod" function on later versions which added an extra gain stage, as I understand it. It also had a switchable 5-band slider eq like some Boogies have and spring reverb. In terms of features it's a very well-thought-out amp, and many love the tone as well. For under $400 used in a 100w tube head I don't know how one could do much better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts