Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Quickly becoming slower
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It could be confirmation bias, but it seems as if we no longer have publicized guitarists sticking with a guitar, and forming a relationship and image with it. I am talking about when I mention Angus Young, David Gilmour, SRV, etc., you automatically imagine them with their guitar.

I could be totally wrong though. :nuts:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
There weren't a billion models of guitar available in those days, many of which were derivative of one another. The most recent time that really existed was stuff like Dave Mustaine and the King V, and that was still over two decades ago.

Pretty simple answer.

·
Quickly becoming slower
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There weren't a billion models of guitar available in those days, many of which were derivative of one another. The most recent time that really existed was stuff like Dave Mustaine and the King V, and that was still over two decades ago.

Pretty simple answer.
Jerry Cantrell
Tom Morrello
John Fruciante
Dimebag
Kurt Cobain

There are a few more modern players just off the top of my head.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Kirk Hammett still uses his KH ESPs, doesn't he? Vai and Satch both still use essentially the same guitars they always have, too. Granted, those guys all emerged decades ago, too.

Every example I can think of is someone pre-2000, essentially because I don't really know any bands from after then.

I'd guess Eklundh will keep his Applehorns for a long time, and he's pretty recent-ish, and Cazares is fairly modern, and it's always a reverse headstock Ibanez 7 for him. Maybe it's not much different.

iDunno.

:shitrun:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

Jack White, Wards Airline Res-O-Glass
Korn, Ibanez 7 string RGs

They're about the only two I can think of. Most guitarists these days have a plethora of well made guitars at their disposal and can have several instruments ready to go. Then again, several guitarists from back in the day who were associated with one guitar or style (IE Jimmy Page and Les Paul's despite recording just as often with a tele or other guitars or Jimi Hendrix and Strats despite using a range of other guitars in the studio and mostly recording with fender Twins and Super amps) due to what was seen of them live.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
I may be alone here, but I kinda miss how iconic music have an instrument they're forever associated with. It's a part of enhancing their image. Nowadays, aside from the already mentioned, I can't think of many others with a singature guitar that leaves a powerful image like say Angus Young and his SG or Dimebag with an ML.

Endorsements and the state of the musical climate may play a few factors as well. Endorsement hopping is still a fairly new thing but it's happening far more often lately. Some guys who do this at least remain faithful to a shape, but it's often just not the same. Ideally an artist would be signed to a brand that he/she genuinely enjoys playing and developing a partnership, but of course it's not always the case.

I do enjoy it when guys with iconic sigs occasionally play something different.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
It's one thing to be associated with a particular type of guitar or to have a signature instrument, but it's another altogether to be associated with one particular guitar... Clapton's "Blackie", Frampton's 3-pickup LP Custom, SRV's "Number 1" or "Lenny", Satch's "Chrome Boy", Vai's "Evo", Willie Nelson's "Trigger".

That seems to be a waning trend, where an artist plays one guitar almost to the exclusion of all others.

·
18,790 Posts
I know most people here aren't fans, but Coheed and Cambria are very much fans of classic rock and metal, and definitely have their signature guitars. It's weird to see Travis without a Les Paul (usually his black custom with the white logo below the bridge) or Claudio without an Explorer (usually either white or walnut), and every Coheed fan knows that when the white double-neck comes out, "Welcome Home" is about to be played.

Jag Tanna from I Mother Earth is almost never seen on stage without an HSS Strat with a reverse headstock, unless he's playing his Jerry Jones baritone.

Dave Grohl's become pretty well known for almost exclusively using the Gibson Trini Lopez or his signatures based on them the last bunch of years.

Matt Bellamy of Muse uses his custom Mansons which are very recognizably his guitars.

There's others out there, but I'd say part of it is that there's not as many mega huge rock/metal bands/artists out there that are newer than the 90s.

·
Registered
927 Posts
EVH never stuck to one brand

Fender Frankensein>Kramer>Peavey>Fender (for special reissue)> EVH guitars

there could be more that I am missing

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Jeff Loomis seems to have been fairly loyal to his sigs over the years. I would have said Stephen Forte and his LAG as well, before he jumped ship to Ibanez.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Are you talking about just the maker or just body? Like how guitarist will go into another brand but same body type.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
No Mr Bigness we have not. Ola Englund and Keith Merrow are good representations of the new school player with brand new signatures available as well as all the others mentioned previously by other people, signature models are alive and well. Originally I was not a fan of playing other peoples guitars but they do seem to offer more preferred features in many cases and unless you plan on becoming a superstar I guess there's nothing wrong with making one your own. My Peavey Wolfgang is very much my guitar not Edward Van Halen's when I play it.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
No Mr Bigness we have not. Ola Englund and Keith Merrow are good representations of the new school player with brand new signatures available as well as all the others mentioned previously by other people, signature models are alive and well. Originally I was not a fan of playing other peoples guitars but they do seem to offer more preferred features in many cases and unless you plan on becoming a superstar I guess there's nothing wrong with making one your own. My Peavey Wolfgang is very much my guitar not Edward Van Halen's when I play it.
How many KM signatures have there been? :lol:

·
Quickly becoming slower
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The same Ola that started out with an Indonesian Ibanez **** Thompson sig, then went to Solar, then Washburn, in the span of a few years?

The same Keith Merrow that started out with Chinese Agiles, then went to Bernie Rico Jr's, then Schecter, in the span of a few years?

You are missing my point. I am not saying that there is a lack of signature guitars. I am saying there is a lack of guitarists that stick with a guitar for so long that it becomes part of their image and appeal. If in say 10-20 years both guitarists mentioned above 1) stay relevant, and 2) keep their current signature guitars, then they are excluded from what I am talking about. :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
Stephen Carpenter of the Deftones has been using the same basic guitar design (just with more strings over the years) for basically his entire career. He lost the neck pickup when he went to 7-strings, and he's added the Tele shape version of it recently, but in general it's been a billion colours of the same design.

It would be recognizably his guitar if it wasn't for the fact that fucking everybody was playing them for a while there :lol: (ditto for the EBMM Petruccis).

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Rob Flynn had a small stint with ESP, but sometime in the mid-2000s stuck with his Gibson (and Epiphone) Flying V and BC Rich Warlock

The guys from Meshuggah use Nevborns for maybe like one year, otherwise they've always been Ibanez RG players.

Ian D'sa from Billy Talent has almost always used a Strat and a Tele.

I'm not sure if this counts, but I'd say Daron Malakian had two "signature" guitars; His Ibanez Iceman and his Gibson SG.

Adam Jones from Tool has almost never been seen without his Les Paul Custom

Even though he uses different guitars for different songs, Jerry Cantrell has almost always used his G&L Rampages.

Mark Tremonti and his PRS Singlecuts. I think the last time he's ever played anything different was when he used Les Pauls like a century ago.

Benjamin Burnley of Breaking Benjamin has always used PRS McCartys and Singlecuts, and his custom Baritone is basically a heavily modded McCarty.

Joel from Killswitch Engage has always been an Caparison Angelus user, to my knowledge. Well, until he got his signature model.

As much as people love to rag on Linkin Park, Brad Delson was a devout PRS Custom 24 users. He also used other models and guitars, but always stuck to his red (and grey) Custom 24.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Joel from Killswitch Engage has always been an Caparison Angelus user, to my knowledge. Well, until he got his signature model.
Actually his main guitar was originally a PLM-1 then he used a custom Dellinger with a wilkinson trem for most live stuff. It went up for sale a year or so back on ebay.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
^As I said, he still relies on his G&Ls for the majority of his stuff. Hell, even SRV had different guitars, but still relied on his #1. David Gilmour also toys around with different guitars, also.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Eric Johnson was using a couple of old '60s Strats for many years, but he sold them for big $$$$$ when he got his Fender sig model so that he could fund studio improvements.

An odd factor in this issue might be the rise of endorsements. SRV played his famous beat-up Strat long after he became famous. If he came along now, he'd have signed a deal for a signature model of some kind early on and would be forced to be seen with that publicly rather than his original guitar. Guys get signature models these days after just having a YouTube video go viral.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts