Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Have you owned a modeller?

• I own a modeller and it's good enough for me. It's the foundation of my main rig.

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • I own one but use it for effects only.

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • I own one and use it only for effects but I plan to start using amp modelling in the near future.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I own one but it's not part of my main rig.

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • I owned one for less than 3 months but it didn't do it for me.

• I owned one for more than 3 months but it didn't do it for me.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I tried some but they didn't do it for me.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I've never owned or tried one.

• I own a modeller but I'm going back to the real thing. I've owned it less than 3 months.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a modeller but I'm going back to the real thing. I've owned it more than 3 months.

Votes: 6 10.2%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Why am I using this setup you ask? I hate the pedal tap dance, simple as that.
I hate it too, hence why I have a MIDI rig, cost more for similar functionality, but in my experience, better tone.

I have used modellers often, owned 3 of them (Pod 2.0, V-Amp Pro, Pod XT), and just have never taken to any of them. I spent more time tweaking them than playing them, just to get a tone I was vaguely happy with.

The problem is, I started with a practice amp, but then after a year I went straight to a tube amp (an Engl Thunder), which also happened to sound good at low volumes, and I could get some damn good recorded tone out of it. So, all the supposed advantages of the Pod were lost on me. I also ran it with a G Major that would switch the channels on it, so I never had to tap dance for effects either.

When I moved to the Engl Invader, same thing happened, it's controllable via MIDI, and then within about 9 months of owning the Invader, my entire rig was MIDI enabled (pedal switching, multieffects, even my Digitech Whammy), so no messing around, the tone sounds good enough at low volumes, and simply stupendous at loud volumes, and I can get a great recorded tone out of it.

The main problem I find with modellers is, I'm not particularly bothered about using 30 different amp models, the most different amps I truly want is maybe 2 or 3, at most (and 2 of only really for recording), so having access to numerous tones that I would never use doesn't really help me.

I'm not going to say that it's impossible to find your own tone with a modeller, but I could never find mine, and I spent more of my time tweaking them to become like the tone I already had 4 feet away in the amp, than just playing the amp I already had. I like the tone I have, it is VERY me, so I'm not really interested in using 40 different versions of different tones, when the one I have is already bloody monstrous.

The best way to show the way I have taken to modellers is twofold. First, when I went to university, I took only my Pod and left my Engl Thunder with my parents. After a week of trying to use the Pod 2.0, I went out to the nearest guitar store and bought the cheapest but best sounding tube combo I could find, and instantly played about 3 or 4 times as much guitar, and 3 or 4 times less tweaking. Secondly, when I moved all my gear out to a rehearsal room with a band I was in a couple of years back, I had only my Pod XT at home. I would play it to learn parts, but could never write any songs as I was never inspired by it. The moment that band folded, I brought my gear back home. 12 weeks later, I had realised I hadnt turned the XT on once. Ebayed it, never owned a modeller since.

Now a disclaimer to all this is, I've tried many modellers (as well as the ones I've owned, I've played the Digitech stuff, Vox, Johnson, Yamaha [probably the best sounding ones were the DG series Yamaha, I could live with them], various plugin ones like Amplitube, Eleven, Sansamp etc) but have yet to play the holy grail, the Axe FX, so if I'm ever in the same place as one, my views may change, but I'm a bit wary of dropping money to check to see what its like, especially given I have zero spare money currently as it is.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
@Stu : Well admittedly, being on a government welfare unemployment wage means I can't really drop the cash on a MIDI based, high end tube rig any time soon :(
I don't use many of the PODs models. Maybe about 10 or most (5 or so for high gain, 5 different ones for leads, I don't really play anything that isn't high gain or super clean :lol:)
Yeah I know the feeling dude :), I'm employed but since I moved out of home, I've barely been able to afford much other than the odd DVD. I'm glad I got it all out the way before I did move out.

I just wanted to make the point that its not the only avenue, obvious to most I guess, but not always obvious to everyone

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.