Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1TB drive in my iMac just isn't cutting it, and while I can do some hax0r shit to add a second drive, I'd like to just upgrade the drive in it, restore from TM and call it a day.

What's the best drive out there these days? It's been ages since I gave a shit. And while I'm at it, are the 3TB drives reliable enough, or still too big/too new? I'd be going with a 7200RPM SATA, and want 64MB cache.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
All I buy are the WD Caviar Green drives and I like them a lot. I haven't heard of any issues with the 3TB drives and was actually thinking of getting one to back up my future RAID to.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd rather not have to deal with an external enclosure. It's not really that I need more space, and the performance of my machine is pretty fuckin' great as it is. I just want to boot camp it because I have some work apps that require Windows. Well that, and I kinda want to play SWTOR. :lol:

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
This year, all of my large hard drive purchases have been from the samsung spinpoint line (the 2TB F4 drives), best price/performance ratio and far lower rate of failure (vs. WD in particular).

But note that the drives I paid $75 for 6 months ago are now running $200. The flooding in Thailand has caused a dramatic rise in HDD costs. It might make sense to wait a few more months if you can. Prices should come down and the 4TB drives will be generally available, further lowering the cost of 2TB or 3TB drives.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not overly concerned about the cost, if it's a hundred bucks more it's no big deal, as long as it doesn't fuckin' crash on me a month later, ya know? :lol:

I think this time next year I'll be moving to a Mac Pro anyway. I love the iMac but a year from now my i5 will be a little long in the tooth.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Fuuuuu long in the tooh i5. My core 2 duo that doesn't recognize internal drives is long in the tooth motherfucker.

Another vote for the samsungs though. Super reliable

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
^ I bought 12 of those drives in may. They're in every desktop computer I own and I have several external enclosures, they even replaced the WD's in my RAID. Awesome drives.

I don't know if the'yre worth $200 a pop though :)

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

$200?!?!

FFFFFUUUUUUUUU
I new prices were gonna go up but I didn't anticipate THAT

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Watch, you won't be able to get past the bridge on the trainer level to this one either :lol:
That would suck. I tried that like 8 more times since then too. :lol:

So, dorks.

I need a 3.5" 2TB+ drive with 64MB Cache...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts