Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross!

Some Tony Martin Sabbath. Under-appreciated, really. I'll be honest, in the late 80's, I didn't even think Sabbath was around anymore. :lol: But it grows on you. This in particular is a cool song.

*Insert disparaging comment from Dave*

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I've never listened to this era of Black Sabbath, and it sounds pretty cool to me! Tony is obviously trying to emulate Ronnie a bit, but he is bringing a bit of his own style in too. I can appreciate that.

The part at 4:13 is really cool.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I love both the Headless Cross and Tyr albums. They've been favorites of mine since they were first released. For me, they represent Iommi's peak as a player. Also, they were the last two purely melodic metal albums Iommi did before he felt the need to go all doom-y in the '90s.

For those interested in '80s Sabbath, Universal is releasing expanded editions of Seventh Star and Eternal Idol in Europe. Seventh Star will have a second disc featuring a concert from that tour with Ray Gillen on vocals (Hammersmith Odeon, 1986), while the second disc of Eternal Idol will have the Ray Gillen versions of those songs, which have only been available on bootlegs until now. A lot of people were surprised that Iommi gave the green light for these, since he generally hates bonus tracks and the like. However, not only did he approve these, but he is also planning to completely remix Born Again for an expanded edition of that album to be released next year.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, they were the last two purely melodic metal albums Iommi did before he felt the need to go all doom-y in the '90s.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head here. I love all of tony iommi's playing. But I will his strongest playing started on heaven and hell and ended on dehumanizer (although dehumanizer has him partly going back to his 70s style). Obivious theres more to it than this, but the 70s black sabbath is much more pentatonically based, whereas 80s sabbath is more diatonic.

for example
to this

The flipside here is that I much prefer Geezer's playing on the 70s albums.

I was hoping that he might harken back to the 80-92 style on the current RJD albums, but the Devil You Know was arguably a lot more of his 70s style riffing. I hope they release a couple more box sets, I love the rules of hell and black box.

Heres a couple of other favorites, and yes Non Ozzy/Non RJD sabbath is far underrated.

and probably one of the greatest unknown sabbath songs

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Cross Purposes is generally an excellent album. It's the one exception to Iommi's general descent back into doom metal in the '90s.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I love the Tony Martin era albums and Headless Cross is the best of them. Awesome album, easily in my top 5 from Sabbath.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Tyr (Its not a car part for you brits) is a great album, and so is Cross Purposes and Eternal Idol. I love the eternal idol demos with ray on vocals, and the live bootlegs from that "era" (How long was Ray in the band?). However, tony did a great job copying Ray on the actual Eternal idol disc.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Yeah, i got a mp3 bootleg of them playing Hammersmith with Ray, and he flat out owned. I wish the quality was better.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
It's spelled tyre!!! :mad:

Also I don't know if you ever noticed but Black Sabbath were originally from Britain ... :rolleyes:(yes I know ... :D)

:hsquid: (I miss the black cloud Metal Ken symbol :()
:lol: You need to post more, man.

The black cloud symbol always made me think of Meatwad from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, for some reason.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
It's spelled tyre!!! :mad:

Also I don't know if you ever noticed but Black Sabbath were originally from Britain ... :rolleyes:(yes I know ... :D)

:hsquid: (I miss the black cloud Metal Ken symbol :()
should still be there-- :mk: :hber:

And yes, I'm aware they're English. They can't spell tire correctly, either. Which is amazing, considering how many Americans have gone through their lineups ;p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts