Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
That site is a fucking mess :rofl:

200 http requests for one process yeah way to make a site that DDOSes itself :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
New, Improved Obamacare Program Released On 35 Floppy Disks | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

WASHINGTON-Responding to widespread criticism regarding its health care website, the federal government today unveiled its new, improved Obamacare program, which allows Americans to purchase health insurance after installing a software bundle contained on 35 floppy disks. "I have heard the complaints about the existing website, and I can assure you that with this revised system, finding the right health care option for you and your family is as easy as loading 35 floppy disks sequentially into your disk drive and following the onscreen prompts," President Obama told reporters this morning, explaining that the nearly three dozen 3.5-inch diskettes contain all the data needed for individuals to enroll in the Health Insurance Marketplace, while noting that the updated Obamacare software is mouse-compatible and requires a 386 Pentium processor with at least 8 MB of system RAM to function properly. "Just fire up MS-DOS, enter 'A:\>dir *.exe' into the command line, and then follow the instructions to install the Obamacare batch files-it should only take four or five hours at the most. You can press F1 for help if you run into any problems. And be sure your monitor's screen resolution is at 320 x 200 or it might not display properly." Obama added that the federal government hopes to have a six-CD-ROM version of the program available by 2016.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
He said, on the internet invented by the US government. :rofl:
Funny, but not really true. The government may have footed a lot of the bill, but educational institutions are primarily responsible for the development.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Funny, but not really true. The government may have footed a lot of the bill, but educational institutions are primarily responsible for the development.
Fair enough, but it's not like healthcare.gov is a totally public venture either. Wasn't most of the actual work done by private contractors?

Regardless, "the government can't do anything right" is pretty silly when you're talking about a government that developed the atom bomb and put a man on the moon with computers less powerful than the graphing calculators I used in high school.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Box Smasher)

Idiots say idiot things.

However, in this age where everyone has a website, the government messed up by not getting a competitive price from a reliable developer.

How much should the healthcare site cost? $250k?

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
I'm not sure why they didn't just get whoever designs the sites for banks where you can shop around for mortgages and loans. It's a similar enough setup, no?

At the end of the day, there is nothing affordable about the affordable care act.
https://data.healthcare.gov/dataset/...cape/ba45-xusy
What income level is that based off of?

Edit: Also there are a ton of sub $250 plans for 27 year olds. That's uh...pretty good. Do you have any idea what COBRA or an individually purchased plan costs even for a healthy 20-something?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Box Smasher)

It won't be affordable if my employer drops their plans, because it is waaaaay cheaper that way.

I wanted to figure out what I would have to pay with ACA. It is 10k a year for a family, but then there is a discount I couldn't calculate on account of website errors.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
I had my own paid for out of pocket insurance through Aetna purchased via ehealthinsurance.com from 2009-2011 when I was contracting (age 29-31). It cost about $110 a month with a $3k deductible.

or, half the price of the affordable care act.

Fact is, the affordable care act simply costs more for everyone. Period. It doesn't make it more accessible to the general populous. It's a handout that the working folks pay for, again.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
It cost about $110 a month with a $3k deductible.
What's the deductible on the equivalent ACA plan? Are we comparing apples to apples here?

Fact is, the affordable care act simply costs more for everyone. Period. It doesn't make it more accessible to the general populous. It's a handout that the working folks pay for, again.
These two sentences are contradictory. It can't cost more for everyone and be a handout.

It costs more for you, guy who makes a fair bit more than the majority of his fellow citizens. Most of those people eligible for subsidies are "working folks" too, and many of them will be able to get cheap insurance that won't fuck them over the second they need to actually use it.

If you don't like it, you can move to a country that isn't a shithole and doesn't require it's better-off citizens to contribute some toward making healthcare available to all. Here's a list of such countries:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts