Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Suck It
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up dudes! I hope this can be kind of a helpful guide to help anyone who is really trying to see the difference between the decimator and a normal fixed release time noise gate.

First and foremost I apologize for the sloppy playing and simple riffing. I just threw it together as fast as I could!

This test was recorded using my RG7621 loaded with Bareknuckle Aftermath 7 pickups, a Fractal Audio AxeFX and of course the Decimator. There is no editing at all here, it is all exactly how I played it. The first clip was recorded with just my raw tone with no noise gate at all. The second clip is with the AxeFx Standard's Noise Gate only at the front of the signal chain. Finally, The third clip is with the ISP Decimator G-String pedal in the beginning and signal chain configuration as shown in the picture below:

I think the Decimator sounds best in my opinion because it seems to sound cleaner and you don't hear as much noise when holding notes out. It also does exactly what it's supposed to do with Start/Stop riffing. It actually gates it perfectly! It also seems to keep the signal more pure sounding all-in-all. You guys decide, and hopefully this will be a good aid to use before you go out and buy one of these babies!

Anyways here's the Test:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Big props for this post man! I think I'm going to use my G-String with my AxeFX II setup as well! That way I can have 3 gates. Input gate, AxeFX II gate block, and another effects loop, just like my real setup but more accurate than just the AxeFX II gate. Thank you!

·
Suck It
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big props for this post man! I think I'm going to use my G-String with my AxeFX II setup as well! That way I can have 3 gates. Input gate, AxeFX II gate block, and another effects loop, just like my real setup but more accurate than just the AxeFX II gate. Thank you!
No prob bro. It works great!

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
I've got a standard decimator. Now I kinda want this guy :ugh:

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
The standard works well enough for lower volumes, but at stage volume with my 5150II (4), it really starts to have a hard time. Although I was using a lot of gain the last time I played live.

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
The standard works well enough for lower volumes, but at stage volume with my 5150II (4), it really starts to have a hard time. Although I was using a lot of gain the last time I played live.
Me to at. At stage volume I find I have to have both control knobs set at like 2 o'clock. Or a little more. Is this the same thing you find.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I find it depends how close to the amp you stand (more prone to feedback), and of course if you use too much gain!

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
I find it depends how close to the amp you stand (more prone to feedback), and of course if you use too much gain!
So if I use a decent amount of gain like 2 o'clock on 6505. And am in a small room practicing with a full metal band sitting rigt in front of amp it's normal to have to have the knobs up that far

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Yes lol if you're sitting in front of the amp at those levels

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
needs more gate /djent joke

the difference is pretty crazy.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Me to at. At stage volume I find I have to have both control knobs set at like 2 o'clock. Or a little more. Is this the same thing you find.
To continued this conversation, the last time I played live with it, I had a ten minute set and everything yelled at me to stop fucking with it because of the feedback, but yeah, you've gotta crank it up. next time I'll back the gain off, and flip em off and get it right.

Also, last time I played live, I took my shirt off. :metal:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts