Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be interesting. From Black-sabbath.com:

Heaven & Hell were set to be on the road in Europe this summer when news came through that despite the amazing progress he was making Ronnie wouldn't be well enough to tour and those shows were canceled. But now, remaining members Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice are set to play a one off show to celebrate his life and work. The band will be completed by Glenn Hughes and Jorn Lande who will both contribute vocals. Former Deep Purple / Black Sabbath star Glenn Hughes was a close friend of Ronnie's for many years and performed a musical tribute at Ronnie's funeral service in Los Angeles. Norwegian Jorn Lande is best known in the UK as the vocalist for power metal band Masterplan, he has also released many solo albums including a tribute to Ronnie. It promises to be a fitting celebration to a man that the metal scene owes so much.
At first, I was wondering about Jorn Lande making the thing sound like a Helloween Side-project. Then I listened to his cover of Stargazer:

Pretty badass.

I'm hoping they record it. Shame Glen Hughes is invovled, tho.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, of note:

Black-sabbath.com has a video from what ended up being Ronnie's last show:

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Yep, this is gonna be happening at the High Voltage festival in London. And I have guest list :metal:

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
WTF, that lineup is AMAZING! man, i would kill to be there. :(

H&H tribute, UFO, Uriah Heep, Down, Joe Bonamassa, Foreigner, ZZ Top, Asia, Wishbone Ash, Zappa....holy fucking overkill!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I really like the two Iommi albums with Hughes, so I'll be eagerly awaiting the DVD of this :metal:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I'm a Glenn Hughes fan, so I'm glad he's there. He was a friend of Ronnie's, so it seems appropriate, too.

I would like to see Glenn and Iommi do another album eventually.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
This could be pretty badass.

And Ozzy COULDN'T do this. He's simply not able to do justice to Dio. End of story.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Ozzy can't do justice to himself these days. :lol:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Ive been wondering if they were going to continue H&H with a new singer....

Dont get me wrong I love Glen Hughes but I think Martins voice is closer to Dios.

Still since Glenn and Ronnie were buds Glen is probably a more appropriate choice.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Damn. I would love to be there.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Ive been wondering if they were going to continue H&H with a new singer....

Dont get me wrong I love Glen Hughes but I think Martins voice is closer to Dios.
No, H&H is done. This is just a one-off tribute show. It wouldn't necessarily surprise me if Iommi and Butler continue working together in some way. I doubt they'll work with Ozzy again anytime soon, even though Ozzy and Iommi settled their litigation awhile back. Iommi and Butler were extremely frustrated with Ozzy's refusal to do a new Sabbath album or sing anything more than the same ten songs every night.

Glenn has a new band with Joe Bonnamassa now, called Black Country Communion, but otherwise I would think a Hughes/Iommi/Butler band under another name might be cool. The big problem with that might be that Hughes has never been comfortable onstage as just a lead singer without his bass.

After being dicked around so many times during the '90s, Tony Martin has made it pretty clear that he won't work with Iommi again. Plus, his voice isn't what it used to be--he might not sound as good on the Dio material as he did 20 years ago.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I think it would be a pity if H&H hangs it up. No matter who they get to sing I think they should continue to put out albums. I don't care if they change the name I just want more music out of them :agreed:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I think it would be a pity if H&H hangs it up. No matter who they get to sing I think they should continue to put out albums. I don't care if they change the name I just want more music out of them :agreed:
You cannot have H&H without Dio, period. I'd love to hear new music out of Iommi/Butler, but you just can't call it H&H.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
You cannot have H&H without Dio, period. I'd love to hear new music out of Iommi/Butler, but you just can't call it H&H.
:agreed:

I don't think Iommi or Butler will be in a hurry to do new projects, anyway. The H&H reunion happened sort of accidentally, and I don't believe Iommi or Butler were working on anything else at the time. It sounded to me like they were semi-retired.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts