Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I have been working on trying to get a crisper heavy tone without micing, so I was hoping you guys could take a look at where I was, and then where I am now, and give some feedback.

Old recording - interface -> Amplitube -> EQ

New recording - ENGL Powerball (preamp) -> interface -> KeFIR w/ Recabinet ->EQ

Excuse the shitty improv solo please! :wub:

And one more new one with the same setup

I think I used too much distortion on this one though. Now that I am actually using an amp to record, it isn't as simple as just turning down the gain on the model, I have to re-record :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
The Powerball sounds a lot better than fucking Amplitube, that is for sure. When recording try to keep the gain as low as you can while still retaining a decent amount of grit. A single track of a guitar alone might sound weak this way, but when you double or quad track the guitar sound will thicken up and sound terrific. Clarity!

As far as the mix...I don't know much :lol: but I'd suggest bringing the drums up, or maybe the guitars down. :scratch:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figured I had the distortion up too high. I guess I will just have to dub in pinch harmonics. Is that pretty standard in industry though?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Yeah I figured I had the distortion up too high. I guess I will just have to dub in pinch harmonics. Is that pretty standard in industry though?
I've heard that Zakk Wylde does that :lol:

Practice getting a decent pinch at lower gain, it's a bitch, but it can happen.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Is there bass guitar in there? Cause it sounds like it needs it.

Other than that, it is a bit saturated, but not excessively so. However, you might run into low-end problems with the guitar when you do end up adding bass, depending on what you do.

Beyond that, it sounds pretty good!

Reactions: Seanbabs

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there bass guitar in there? Cause it sounds like it needs it.

Other than that, it is a bit saturated, but not excessively so. However, you might run into low-end problems with the guitar when you do end up adding bass, depending on what you do.

Beyond that, it sounds pretty good!
The first ENGL one (second one in post) doesn't have bass, that was just a quick tightness test. I think it would sound much better with bass.

The third one does have bass, but I think the guitar tone is over saturated with the quad tracking, so I need to redo it with much less gain.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Ahh yes, did not listen to the third one. Yeah, too much gain on the rhythm guitars. The bass could use a little more mids too to keep it punchy.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Definitely reduce the gain a lot in the tracks. As Zepp said, many tracks of lighter distortion soud heavier and clearer overall. One interesting idea Darren used a while back is to record an acoustic track (either overdubbing an acoustic or recording a piezo track if you have piezo's) over heavy guitars. You don't really hear the acoustic, but it really filled out the sound of the heavy tone in a good way.

·
Madcap Funster
28 Posts
The 2nd one ( powerball ) is defo the best, although to be able to hear a rhythm guitar riff on it other than the straight chug would have helped it`s evaluation a bit more

1 - 10 of 10 Posts