Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone, Ed here In NY. I'm new to posting but been browsing the site for a few months, well, since I retired from building street rods. Now that my sons are out and on their own, I can take my Plexi out of the closet and take the blanket off! I'm keeping my car shop, just added wood tools so I can start building axes full time. Ive built around thirty so far, did countless repairs and restorations and I REALLY like it.

Being 52 Ive been around. Playing since 1st grade, building guitars since 1970. I know a bunch but not nearly everything. That's why I like guitar playing, guitar building and the Internet. The roads to choose are endless!

Cool site, thanks for having me, and gotta love the Internet and Music.

Ed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
:welcome:

If it's a forum filled with a bunch of old geezers talking about guitars and how much better things were in the past you were after, you've found it, sir!

Post up some shots of your builds. :yesway:
lol, thanks for the warm welcome! I Agree! I remember back in 1983 feeling ill trying to decide which concert I wanted to go see in the same night. The night was a bit of a blur but I think it was Van Halen, or, Scorpions/Black Sabbath, or Iron Maiden/ Judas Priest. All fifty miles apart. Then there was double night sell outs. Like Rush 2112, Robin Trower, UFO to mention a few that did double nights. Naturally I went to both nights for each of them...:). If you remember that happened regularly. Now days we are lucky if we get a smash mouth concert to go to every other month yet alone three in the same night! Good news is that I do see metal coming back, which is EPIC to say the least.

As for posting pics, I'm not so sure of forum rules(?) for posting images because I'm selling what I build now. I'm proud of my recent work but don't want to get in trouble for advertising. I'm looking into rules now.

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
omg-lol, I read both pages twice, and laughed my ass off twice. Now please excuse me while clean the coffee off my desk...
Even better yet, the more you learn, the funnier it gets. The Unofficial Handbook is a virtual cornucopia of holy fucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok, here are a few pics of a few various guitars Ive built. A few of them I kept. I doubled some up into single images so as not to hog up too much of the site with a bunch of pics.

2005 I was doing mostly automotive finishes. Now days I prefer natural stains of various colors over wood. Topcoat is usually a satin/semi-gloss lacquer clear coat. I'm not doing so much figured maple these days because most other builders have that market covered well. Wood of choice is mahogany.

First neck through I built in 1985 (correction originally said 1995). 3 piece mahogany neck, mahogany body wings, EMGs.

Dual Cut Away with a 3-piece maple neck with mahogany body wings, teal-blue powder coat over chrome. DP 159 & HS3 Dimarzio

Blade Runner I & and Single Cut Away. Dimarzio pickups. BR was 3-piece maple neck w/mahogany body wings, and plum crazy powder coat over chrome. Single Cut Away was 3-piece mahogany neck, headstock veneer, mahogany body wings, Brazilian rosewood fingerboard. Bound body, neck headstock. Onyx inlays.

Few more

Velocity 3 & 4 - Maple necks, mahogany body wings, DP 158 & 159s

Two recent Dual Cut Away guitars. One is Zebra wood, other Mahogany. One has a two-piece mahogany neck, one is a three-piece mahogany neck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! I'm just starting to get into the heat of it all. I spent the last month making custom templates and jigs. I make everything by hand so templates and jigs are key for me to get them out the door in three weeks.

That last one is tits :yesway:
Thank you. Its Zebrawood and a dozen or so people have been curious about it over thepast few months. Its a funny wood, not stringy, not dense, not soft, hard to describe. It can burn out router bits so its hard, and bit on the heavy side like most exotic woods are. But its dry which means it stable. When I cut it no water ever comes out of it. Odd. I laminated the headstock on that with Zebra and made the fingerboard out of Zebra. I love the way it looks and just bought some more pieces last weekend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hell yes to that last one! All the superstrats are pretty damn great. The pointy ones are not so much my thing, though. But I imagine Adam (Elysian) will love them. :lol:
Thanks! I agree with the strat body axes. I have a hard time selling those because I want to keep them all.

Here are a few more pics of that zebra wood guitar, scalloped heel and laminated headstock. Neck is two piece mahogany. I beef up the neck a little by the nut to resist breakage in the event of a face dive. I place a little speed bump there as well. I dropped a Les Paul when I was a kid popping off the headstock. I think it damaged my soul. Can't be having that happen again.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts

Your guitars look really nice, especially the zebrawood one. The heel looks beautiful. I'm intrigued by the powdercoat over chrome, I didn't realise you could get transparent powdercoat, it looks really cool.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I take it the zebrawood superstrat is in your private collection? I know I wouldn't part with it.
The Zebra strat is only a month and a half old and holds serial # 0001. Still smells new. I am selling that and the other mahogany strat with the battle axe edges which is serial # 0002. I stamp the numbers on and clear coat over them.

0003 through 0013 are all under way. Painful to think of watching them ship off :( but I went to counseling last week (at my girlfriends house) and she gave me that 'eye' when I told her I wanted to keep them...

anyway, the Blue strat I'm keeping, the black and orange Velocity I'm keeping, The rest were sold. All Guitars I built before the Zebrawood guitar have no serial number and I considered them all prototypes. The Black Blade Runner was meant for Joe Perry of Aerosmith but I took two weeks too long building it. He needed it or the hard rock hall of fame exhibit in Fl. by a certain date.

Your guitars look really nice, especially the zebrawood one. The heel looks beautiful. I'm intrigued by the powdercoat over chrome, I didn't realise you could get transparent powdercoat, it looks really cool.
Hey James, nice to meet you. The heels are important to me because Ive been working at teaching myself hammers, pull offs, and other tapping techniques up high and I keep slamming into the heel on my Les Paul I used in my old street rod shop. I worked on those for a while until I felt good enough to offer them on everything. I like having a 'door stop' when I slide up not looking, but I don't like hitting the curb in the process.

Powdercoat is something that took me a few months to get down. Ive been doing it for around fifteen years on street rods stuff but the little guitar parts were a bitch. I get my powders from three different places. They all make something different and something cool. The candy colors come in around 12 shades plus I can mix them. Some blend into a new color and some blend giving me a cool speckled effect. I have to make special jigs to hold all those little pieces, and I bought a smaller oven to bake them in to keep my power meter from jumping off the wall when using the wheel oven. The whole process takes me around a day, sometimes a day and a half to do. I have a friend who works on magnets for NASA and he gets me this tape that sticks to 400 degrees. I have to use that on certain pieces that need to make string contact.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts