Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
's all in the wrist
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a high gain combo amp that will do extreme metal. It will be used exclusively for playing at home and recording, loud volume does not interest me but doesn't bother me either.

The problem is that where I live, my choices are VERY limited. I've been to every store that had amps to try them out and I didn't find a whole lot. I've been researching for about a month now and I feel it's time to make a decision.

This is what I found in the stores that was readily available:
1. A few Marshall amps but didn't like any of them, at least what they had didn't sound good to my ears.
2. Bugera 6262 212. Not enough gain for what I going for.
3. Bugera 333. Same as above.
4. Bugera 333XL. I really liked this one. It had enough punch that made me smile and I dialed a tone I liked really fast.

The 333XL wouldn't turn on at first because as it turned out one of the fuses was out so the guy at the store had to change it. I've read a lot about Bugera's reliability issues so I'm really skeptical about getting one.

From my research I really like the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo. Reviews and videos convinced me that it's what I'm looking for. Thing is I'm not really sure about things I haven't tried myself so I don't know. Is it similar to the 333XL? I'd rather go with Peavey because they have a good reputation. I can get the 6505+ here but I'll need to order it from the store and they won't take it back if I end up not liking it. All sales are final so I really need to make a right choice here.

Basically this is what I'm looking at right now: Peavey 6505+ 112 or Bugera 333XL 212?

Any other suggestions? I would like to try a Bugera 6260 212 but they don't have it. It really sucks not being able to try out stuff to see if I like it or not and have to rely on the interwebz to form an opinion. :noway: On the other hand it's a good thing that I even have this here! :rofl:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Bugeras ARE Peaveys, etc, that are stripped down in terms of quality of components and build. So you get what you pay for. They do sound fine, but I wouldn't trust them. That being said, it sounds like you'll barely move them around and crank them up, so maybe you'll be fine.

The 333XL is supposed to be a clone of the Peavey XXX, if I'm not mistaken. The 6262 is like the 6505. You can see the similarities in the naming.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The 6505+ will be very loud for home playing, but if you might be able to handle it with just a 1x12.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
It'd be worth it to me to save a bit more and get the "Real" version of the amp rather than going with the knockoff. I'm not saying Bugeras are shitty (I've never even seen one), but I'd never be totally comfortable with it.

·
's all in the wrist
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm more concerned about tone than anything else. Neighbors won't bother me if I play loud so loud volume is not an issue. I have enough cash to buy any of the ones mentioned. It's the fact that I can't go in a store and compare them all that makes choosing one so hard for me.

Anyone who has had experience with these amps would care to comment? Would be much appreciated!

The 333XL is supposed to be a clone of the Peavey XXX, if I'm not mistaken. The 6262 is like the 6505. You can see the similarities in the naming.
Now you're putting me in more thoughts. I really liked the 333XL, so if that's a clone of Peavey's XXX then there's one more candidate. I need to research it and see/listen how good it is. I don't know if I can get it here, I'll need to call and ask the guy at the store and see if he can get it for me.

More options then...
1. Peavey 6505+ 112
2. Bugera 333XL 212
3. Peavey Triple XXX 40W 112

Btw, just for general knowledge, can someone tell me the amps Bugera are cloning from Peavey?

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
It'd be worth it to me to save a bit more and get the "Real" version of the amp rather than going with the knockoff. I'm not saying Bugeras are shitty (I've never even seen one), but I'd never be totally comfortable with it.
The Peaveys are cheap enough used you might as just get one of them anyway.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Grab a Peavey, as having lived with a Bugera (at band practice I use a 5150II and my bandmate uses a Bugera 6262) there is a very noticeable difference in quality of sound! On top of that Bugera feels cheap and is away for repair every other month.

FYI, however - the 6505 1x12 is chinese, whereas the 2x12 is American.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:agreed:

You can get a used 5150 for less than a new Bugera, and they're built like tanks.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. Cyprus uses the Euro IIRC, and there are several less-well-off countries nearby.

The fact that it's so small with such a small selection already, I'd reckon that what he can get new is jumped up in price anyway. A Peavey or the like from another country that doesn't have those problems may well be the same price after shipping as buying a Bugera locally.

·
's all in the wrist
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well if I decide to get it online I will certainly get it from Thomann Cyberstore since shipping is only 30 euros. This is the website for the store that has Bugera and Peavey - CG Georgallis Professional Sound - Light Equipment & Musical Instruments, just to give you some perspective on price difference.

Thing is I'm really worried about ending up not liking whatever I buy because there's no way of me knowing how it sounds until I actually buy it. I need to be 100% sure about my purchase. I'm also concerned about warranty when ordering online, if something goes wrong then I'll have to ship it back to Germany and that will cost a lot I think not to mention a lot of time.

Just some of my thoughts. I haven't been able to look into it the past few days because work has been crazy. Hopefully I'll have some time during the weekend.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a video. Remember that a huge percentage of modern metal ends up recorded with a 5150 or 6505-something. The combo is the same exact amp as the head, it's just strapped to a speaker. Find an artist that uses the amps and listen to their tone. I know studio tone is unfair, but you should be able to get a feel for the sound.

I'd suggest Arch Enemy as a good example.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I've been looking for a good video/mp3 for the 6505+ 112 that uses a real mic but haven't been able to find one... Does anyone know one or can someone who owns the amp make one? Would be much appreciated!
Dude listen to every Hagar-era Van Halen album :D

·
's all in the wrist
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went to the store today to try the 333XL again. I powered it up and 30 seconds later the fuse went out again. It seems to me all the things I read about Bugera amps being unreliable are very true. The guy at the store kept insisting that it was nothing to worry about, it's just a simple fix. Maybe it is but I don't trust that this particular amp will last very long. I'm gonna go try it again when it's fixed just to get one final taste of its tone and if the guy gives me a really cheap price I might consider getting.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 6505+. I still haven't got a quote for it yet. A question, is there a noticeable difference in tone between the 112 and the 212? I've read a few comments that they sound different somehow. Sigh... I wish I could try any of those :roll2:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
:agreed: You can get a used Peavey XXX or 5150(or 6505) for around $599 - $699, I would just do that instead of getting the Bugera.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts