Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So, In getting my FIRST "basic pedalboard"? What do I need? I'm thinking of a tuner, a boost (?) for leads and accenting certain parts of my punk-stoner-doom-ish riffs...

A Can of Worms, I know... Where should I start?

I play mostly the dirty channel (B) of my Orange Thunderverb 50, which I'm pretty happy with, sometimes running both de A and B channels dirty... I'm happy with the amount of gain and "the tone" I get from the "amp alone". I just need a "boost" (?) to highlight certain parts. ""Tighten" it a bit? A "distortion/overdrive/fuzz" boost? A "clean boost"?

Also interested in some kind of modulation effects to add "texture and flavour" to the clean (?) parts. A Phaser!! A Delay!!! And a Chorus!

I guess to keep the maximum total costs at about $500, maybe a little more, I need to go and get "used". No problem! I'm also getting a Wah!

Also, please include your tips on the needed "compact pedalboard" itself, power supply and patch cables. The whole works! This will be gigged! Portability, reliability and sturdiness is a must!

Let's keep this simple and LEAN, but top-notch quality.

Please post you favorite recommendations ands state brand/model. I'll take the research from there.

Any help and thoughts welcomed. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hey guys!

So, In getting my FIRST "basic pedalboard"? What do I need? I'm thinking of a tuner, a boost (?) for leads and accenting certain parts of my punk-stoner-doom-ish riffs...

A Can of Worms, I know... Where should I start?

I play mostly the dirty channel (B) of my Orange Thunderverb 50, which I'm pretty happy with, sometimes running both de A and B channels dirty... I'm happy with the amount of gain and "the tone" I get from the "amp alone". I just need a "boost" (?) to highlight certain parts. ""Tighten" it a bit? A "distortion/overdrive/fuzz" boost? A "clean boost"?

Also interested in some kind of modulation effects to add "texture and flavour" to the clean (?) parts. A Phaser!! A Delay!!! And a Chorus!

I guess to keep the maximum total costs at about $500, maybe a little more, I need to go and get "used". No problem! I'm also getting a Wah!

Also, please include your tips on the needed "compact pedalboard" itself, power supply and patch cables. The whole works! This will be gigged! Portability, reliability and sturdiness is a must!

Let's keep this simple and LEAN, but top-notch quality.

Please post you favorite recommendations ands state brand/model. I'll take the research from there.

Any help and thoughts welcomed. Thanks in advance!
Definitely start with a boost. A maxon od808 or Ibanez TS9 would be just fine and you can find plenty for cheap on the used market. A chorus is great for clean and even dirty parts. Since Ive only used one my entire life (boss ce-3), its hard for me to recommend you a pedal. However, I have been eying the CE-2 reissue. A delay can add some layering and is awesome for leads. Im quite happy with my MXR carbon copy.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
As you stated it: Tuner is where to start. It's the least "fun" pedal, but the most important one. Boss TU2 or TU3 rule. I stil

After that:

.) Booster / Overdrive - that's a discussion on it's own, i'll leave that to the rest of the thread (that WILL come :lol: ).

.) Wah - I for myself settled with a Crybaby 95Q (i still have to google the number every time). The auto-on/off (pedal engages when foot is placed on it; auto-off when you remove your foot) was a must for me, and it's super flexible with the Q control, something the others were missing.

.) Delay/Reverb:
I can't stress enough how awesome the Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master is. It is my go to pedal for every lead, because it makes everything sound a bit more awesome.

.) Modulation:
- the EHX Small Stone is the coolest Phaser you can get below 100,- bucks. It is limited, but everythign it does is useable. the Boss PH3 for example has a lot of options, but only 2 or 3 settings that can be used in a band setting, and these are hard to find.

- If you are playing clean also, I'd get a Chorus. The Boss CE-5 is a cool pedal, can be bought used very often and will do almost everything.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
TC Electronic Polytune mini 2, Ibanez TS9/Maxon OD808, MXR Phase 90, EXH Small Clone, Boss NS-2/Decimator, TC Electronic Flashback, TC Electronic Hall of Fame.

Power I like: MXR DC Brick, T Rex Fuel Tanks, or one of the Voodoo Lab Pedal Powers.
Patch Cables I like the Mogami Cable or the Lava Cable patch lead kits.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I agree largely with what's been said above.

• Tuner - I'm not sure what brand; my Korg is screwed and it's the only pedalboard tuner I've ever owned. I'll get another one shortly.
  • Drive / Boost - Tube Screamer is really popular... TS9. I use a Keeley Red Dirt Overdrive and a Keeley Katana.
  • Wah - no recommendations. I just bought my first Wah pedal - a Crybaby - and it's a piece of shit... not because it's a crybaby but because it's a used piece of shit and I got hosed. :lol:
  • Delay / Reverb - I'm really fond of the MXR Carbon Copy. I use a Boss RV6 for reverb, but you'll get plenty of other great suggestions on reverb including the Hall of Fame.
  • Phase - I'm currently using an MXR Phase 90. It's pretty simple and does what I ask of it.
  • Chorus / Flange - I'm not really familiar with these. I just stepped into this with a Keeley Dyno-My-Roto. It's a chorus, flange, and roto cab combination. I haven't even had the opportunity to really put it through it's paces, yet.

Optional: Fuzz - Fuzzface, Big Muff, Way Huge Swollen Pickle, there's a bunch and you'll have to figure out what sounds good to you. Several companies make a germanium fuzz which folks seem to love - vintage sort of sound and all. I've owned both a Big Muff and a Swollen Pickle. I just fell into a Catalinbread Katzenkonig, which is a combination RAT and Tone Bender - it's the only fuzz on my pedalboard now.

For power, I use a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+. It's been pretty reliable so far, and I bought it used.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yep, lots of good advice so far! If I had to start from scratch, and needed to keep it simple, this is what I'd build...

1) Board - Pedaltrain. Lots of great options on sizes, and super rock solid. Just don't settle for the crappy carry-bag!
2) Power - TrueTone CS7. I've got the CS12, and it's pretty awesome.
3) Cables - Hosa pancake style. I've used George L's and several others, but the Hosa's are inexpensive and very solid. And they fit great.
4) Pedals...
-- Tuner - TC Polytune. I'm using the tuner on my wireless unit right now, but the Polytune was awesome.
-- Phaser - MXR Phase 90. On slow speed, it's like a chorus, and at high speed, it's like you're playing underwater. In between, it's just fun!
-- Overdrive - EHX SoulFood. Very smooth, but can get more extreme if you dial it up.
-- Wah - Morley. I'm a big fan of switchless wah's, so I tend to gravitate towards Morley. Not the most classic of sounds, but certainly usable for the few times I use it.
-- Reverb - EQD Dispatch Master. A seriously versatile pedal, well worth the price they fetch (priciest of what I've listed).
5) Case - Mono. After my Pedaltrain bag blew-out, I replaced it with a (pricey) Mono bag, but it seems to protect things just fine, and is pretty lightweight.

Granted, this pedalboard I've laid out might run you close to $700 or so if you're buying everything new, but it's what I'd put together if I needed to :yesway:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey guys! You are awesome. Exactly the kind of info I was hoping I could get. Thanks everyone who contributed.

So, after reading your replies and some more info online, I'm currently with this "working version" list:

[Tuner] TC Electronic Polytune 2 Mini. The 3 was just announced. I guess the 2 is good enough for me. Used by professionals for the last couple of years... And a good chance to score a bargain as there will probably be a ton of people selling for a "3 upgrade". I hope. That's my plan.

[Drive / Boost] EP Booster or Pigtronix Class A Boost (Recommended by Orange) or OD (?) as a boost. Fulltone OCD or the mentioned Ibanez TS9/Maxon OD808. I still don't get this right... Can you elaborate more on this?

[Wah] Still undecided about this one. Please post more suggestions. I want mainly a ultra-reliable and awesome sound-quality. Something "basic" but that will last. I keep reading about the Dunlop Zakk Wylde Signature Wah, being an awesome choice. I hate "signature gear" but, what's most important is quality. I could buy one, yeah. The forementioned Crybaby 535Q Multi-Wah is another option.

[Delay] MXR Carbon Copy. Great quality people say and "not-too-fancy or boutique". Readily available at your "local guitar shop" and easy to find used online at discount prices

[Phase] Electro-Harmonix Small Stone. Simple and does the work. Great quality people say and "not-too-fancy or boutique". Readily available at your "local guitar shop" and easy to find used online at discount prices. Another option is the MXR Phase 90.

[Chorus] Electro-Harmonix Small Clone. Simple and does the work. Great quality people say and "not-too-fancy or boutique". Readily available at your "local guitar shop" and easy to find used online at discount prices. Other options?

[Power] Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+.

[Pedalboard] I'm thinking of going "Custom", bought locally: Mr. Ron FX - Custom Flightcases & Pedalboards

What do you guys think? Keep you thoughts and ideas coming. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
927 Posts
[Drive / Boost] EP Booster or Pigtronix Class A Boost (Recommended by Orange) or OD (?) as a boost. Fulltone OCD or the mentioned Ibanez TS9/Maxon OD808. I still don't get this right... Can you elaborate more on this?
I would go the OD as a boost. Going that route can give you more options later on like if you want to use an overdrive for other applications like using it on a clean channel to get bluesy like breakup/tones. I cant speak for the Fulltone (although i hear good things) but when it comes to something like an Ibanez TS9, its like a defacto standard. And you can find them cheap for like $60 used all day long. I have the Maxon and its great but ive never heard anybody say a bad thing about the Ibanez so its always a safe bet that doesn't break the bank. If you have a guitar center near you, you can buy the fulltone and tubscreamer there and bring them home to test on your rig and return whatever you dont like. I have also seen some stores carry the maxon now as well.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I don't deviate too much from what's already been mentioned; just slight tweaks.

For a board, I went with Temple, because I like their modules and the plate system.

Tuner - TU-3. Decent tuner, good buffer
Crybaby Mini - sounds good, fits on a pedalboard better
Phase 95 - smaller than a 90, sounds the same plus some nice extra features.
MXR Custom Badass OD - something different than the usual TS
Boss CE-2w - the reissue of the OG chorus
Boss DD-500 - does every delay you'd ever need. The Flashback X4 is sweet too.
MXR chorus - same chip as the Strymons, and sounds extremely good.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
I would basically mirror what everyone else said, as my main pedals are:

Overdrive, I've usually got 2 on my board - rotates between either a VFE Vomit Hound, or a VFE Ice Scream, and the second one is always a DVK Hairball, its a treble boost and overdrive in one.
Fuzz
Tuner
Volume
Wah
Reverb
Tremolo

You could easily exceed your budget getting more than one or two pedals, but don't let the internet fool you, the cheap pedals can be really nice, too.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
From my list the only thing I own is the flash back. I'm far too much of a TGP boutique OD snob to own anything Ibanez ;)
I was that way for about two pedals. Then I realized that boutique isn't always better. Especially Strymon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts