Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem. I hate moving cables around. I like to drink beer, play guitar and administer power metal riffs. I do not like to move cables around.

When I'm recording, I'm using the AFX's amp/cab sims. I have the 1/4" outs from the AFX into the loop of the roadster, and I'm using the XLR outs to run to my interface into my DAW. When I do, I drop it from the loop of the Roadster, because I don't want the amp/cab sims going through my head - especially since they aren't tuned at all for the Roadster's channels, which I have setup the way I like 'em.

Right now, I'm just turning the Roadster off and using headphones/monitors. What I'd like to accomplish is a quick way to drop the FX send into the Roadster, so that it'll go into power amp mode. The problem is, as soon as I plug a cable into the send, the Roadster assumes that the effects loop is active.

Can any of you fine lads think of a way that I can get around this? If I can quickly go back and forth, all I would need to do is change the IO in the AFX to let it know that I'm running through it, and that way I can use my amp and my monitors when recording. So if I want to record direct, yet be amp-loud at the same time, the Roadster will basically reproduce what the AFX is putting out, albeit with a cab sim on top of my Recto cab, but I can live with that.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
but it offers the great advantage of recording the roadster preamp into a cab without a mic :yesway:
A Recto pre is not something you want to hear without the power section :agreed:

But, 4CM is probably your best bet, unless you want to build a couple of 1/4" switchers.

You could also use that patch bay Drew gave you and do a little soldering, so the cables only need to be swapped on your desk.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I gave Drew the patch bay, not the other way around. :lol: I'd have to defeat the switch in the Roadster somehow.

I think I'll just swap cables around. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Put an effects loop block in your AFX patch right before the amp and mic sims.

Instead of using the outputs on the AFX, use the effects send. Plug that into the effects return on your Roadster.

The Roadster will get the patch without amp and mic sims, and the XLR outs on the AFX will send the same patch to your recording rig WITH the amp and mic sims.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

Instead of using the outputs on the AFX, use the effects send. Plug that into the effects return on your Roadster.

The Roadster will get the patch without amp and mic sims, and the XLR outs on the AFX will send the same patch to your recording rig WITH the amp and mic sims.
Darren, you need to just buy one of these already :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

If that works, you are my hero. :wub:

·
Premium Member
367 Posts

There's a couple problems with this. First, the Axe-FX will be getting an already preamped signal in to the amp sim, so you're double stacking distortion. Second, the Roadster won't be getting any of the effects that come after the amp sim, which kind of defeats the purpose of having the Axe-FX hooked up to it at all.

There's a way to accomplish what you want using 4CM. I don't know why you're opposed to it. It shouldn't affect your tone, it just allows you more control over the routing within the Axe-FX.

IF you decide to do 4CM, here's what you can do. First, go into I/O -> Audio and make sure Output 1 Mode is set to Stereo. Now, set up your patches like such:

The FX loop contains the Roadster preamp. Use the mixer to pan row 2 all the way left and row 3 all the way right. Now the left output can go to the DAW while the right output goes to the Roadster return.

Some effects can create crossover between the left and right channels. If you're using delay, make sure SPREAD is set to 100%. However, if an effect is still creating crossover, you may have to do this:

Or even this (use the output mixer to pan row 2 left and row 3 right):

I think the first way should work fine, but you'll have to try it out.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A) Thanks Stateless, I'll devour your post in a bit and try to take it all in.

B) When I'm not recording, all I want the AFX to do is provide effects. When I am recording, I want it to do everything. I'd like to do both of these w/o having to swap cables around.. So that if I'm not recording, and I just want 100% Roadster and have the effects loop for something like delay only, I can do what without having to get behind the amp to plug the Send back in.

Right now, if I'm going AFX only (direct), and I want to hear it through the Roadster, I unplug the send and change the IO, which puts the Mesa into poweramp mode. Then I turn all the sims back on in the AFX.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Dethphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think he's doing the latter.

Personally, I would run the power amp, speaker and mic sims last in the chain and run all my effects between the preamp and power amp, with the FX loop right before the power amp block. That way, if you run the fx loop out to the Roadster's return, it gets everything but the power amp, cab and mic.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
When I'm not recording, all I want the AFX to do is provide effects. When I am recording, I want it to do everything.
The way I suggested before would have the AFX providing amp/cab sims to the DAW, but would use the Roadster preamp instead for the sound going to the Roadster return. The other effects would be the same for both signal paths. Is this what you want, or do you want to hear the AFX amp sims through your Roadster while you're recording? You could always have separate patches for when you're not recording that use the Roadster's preamp.

Personally, I would run the power amp, speaker and mic sims last in the chain and run all my effects between the preamp and power amp, with the FX loop right before the power amp block. That way, if you run the fx loop out to the Roadster's return, it gets everything but the power amp, cab and mic.
That's what I was going to suggest next. He would still need to change cables though since he has to switch from the Roadster's input to the AFX's input. Not a big deal though.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's a couple problems with this. First, the Axe-FX will be getting an already preamped signal in to the amp sim, so you're double stacking distortion. Second, the Roadster won't be getting any of the effects that come after the amp sim, which kind of defeats the purpose of having the Axe-FX hooked up to it at all.
That's exactly what I want to avoid.

There's a way to accomplish what you want using 4CM. I don't know why you're opposed to it. It shouldn't affect your tone, it just allows you more control over the routing within the Axe-FX.
I FEAR CHANGE SIR. :lol:

IF you decide to do 4CM, here's what you can do. First, go into I/O -> Audio and make sure Output 1 Mode is set to Stereo. Now, set up your patches like such:
Won't that make the effects in the AFX assume that the Roadster is a stereo power amp, or am I missing something? For example if I have a panner, and I set my output to Stereo, then the Roadster will only get the left or the right side of the stereo effect, no?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.