Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just an arrangement mix of one of my songs. There's a bunch of cut/paste and the playing isn't the cleanest or tightest. I'm nowhere near done with it, but sick of arranging right now and figured I'd work on the tone.

Two guitar tracks, HD500 Treadplate, 80% pan and DKFH with no plugins/effects/otherwise other than my standard drum PC and a hipass on the kick.

The drums are also a work in progress. The hats were driving me crazy so for the time being I just dumped them all to a standard light closed hit, so they're a tad boring. There are also a few fills that are a bit off, but fuck it. :lol:

Again, LOTS of copy/paste going on here and this isn't the final arrangement, or even close to it. I like where this rhythm tone is going and I think a bassline will obviously help a bunch, but it's still really, really dark.

I also didn't realize there was that much air at the end. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Is there a "presence" knob in the Treadplate model? Sounds like you could use some of that. Also, the guitars sound like they're being mic'd at the far end of a hallway, while the drums are very present and clean. Check and see how close the HD500's virtual mic is to the cab; Line 6 usually lists this as "Air" or something similar.

Sounds good, but you're right, the guitar tracks are missing some real sparkle and presence.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
If you're wanting to brighten up the guitars it'd probably be best to change the tone on the HD itself, rather than do it after the fact with some EQ. If you want to go that route though I'd maybe try a fairly wide boost somewhere around 6-7 k, only a couple of db if that. Maybe a high shelf but that might introduce some unwanted noise up there. As it stands though it is quite dark, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Right now there's lots of room in the mix for the things which have a lot of high end (the overheads and such) and a good sense of space. The added space will probably be a help when it comes to leads too.

Song kicks ass by the way! :metal:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm trying to get the HD to sound where I want it, with a little wiggle room - I tend to boost things a bit before I send them to the DAW, because it's easier to take it out than put it back in, ya know?.

I just am not a fan of screechy treble, but I think in this case I overdid it a bit.

I'll take some drum (sound, not pattern) advice as well. I'm not done with the actual hits on this, but aside from the obvious missing hats, it's really, really dry.

Song kicks ass by the way! :metal:
:lol: Thanks, it makes a lot more sense with the accompanying parts, though.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
I think really just a little more treble in the tone coming in to the DAW and it'd be great. I generally low pass the guitars in Reaper anyway (just to get rid of the junk/fizzy stuff in the very high end) usually around 10-12k. Of course you can go lower (or higher) if you're feeling spicy :yesway:

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
That kick sounds like a nickel tapping against my forehead. Try stacking different kicks for an awesome sound.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
I actually like the kick! It sounds much better than any EZDrummer kick I've ever heard before :lol:

Chris, if you wanted to mess around with sample replacement there's a very nice free JS plugin for Reaper a guy on the forums made. Not quite as fancy as the commercial ones out there, but it does the job for me just fine! I can dig up a link or just send you the text file if you wish :yesway:.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
If you're ever down in south florida and you want to take your mixes to the next level on the ssl just ask.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
I'll take some drum (sound, not pattern) advice as well. I'm not done with the actual hits on this, but aside from the obvious missing hats, it's really, really dry.
Oops, missed this. Does DKFH have a room mic channel on it? Have you got any reverb going on this already?

If you don't have a room mic channel on it, you can bus all the drum tracks out to a seperate channel with a 100% wet room reverb on it to get the same kind of effect. Either way, you can take that channel and compress the tits out of it then bring it up underneath your main tracks. Good for gelling the kit together and getting some natural reverb going (although if you use the bus method along with using a drum library I'm not sure if we can call it natural :lol:).

Reverb wise I tend to have one for the snare, one for the toms then a general kit one which usually gets a small amount of the room mic and overheads if it seems necessary. Then again I am a reverb whore so take that with a grain of salt.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oops, missed this. Does DKFH have a room mic channel on it? Have you got any reverb going on this already?

If you don't have a room mic channel on it, you can bus all the drum tracks out to a seperate channel with a 100% wet room reverb on it to get the same kind of effect. Either way, you can take that channel and compress the tits out of it then bring it up underneath your main tracks. Good for gelling the kit together and getting some natural reverb going (although if you use the bus method along with using a drum library I'm not sure if we can call it natural :lol:).

Reverb wise I tend to have one for the snare, one for the toms then a general kit one which usually gets a small amount of the room mic and overheads if it seems necessary. Then again I am a reverb whore so take that with a grain of salt.
It does. I plan to toss a little reverb on the drums at the end, since I grew up in the 80's and love that shit. :lol:

Here's the bus setup:

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Take the room mic and limit it. I mean squash the living shit out of it and bring it up in the mix till it sounds good.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
Take the room mic and limit it. I mean squash the living shit out of it and bring it up in the mix till it sounds good.
I liked the way I said it better, because I used the word tits :cool:

As I'm actually at my DAW just now I thought I'd throw up some examples of drums from a song with/without reverb and the room mics. Apologies as it's not quite as metal as your stuff Chris, but I've not done a metal mix I'm happy with for a long time!

Here's the drums in context:

Here's the drums by themselves:

Here's them with no reverb, just the compressed room mic:

And here's the drums with neither of those two things! Pretty nasty sounding here:

I find the room mic especially helps gel the cymbals and the kit together when compressed, and provides it's own bit of ambience as well. The other reverbs generally just add the detail I find. Here's a screenshot of the reverb I'm using (just checked and the snare/general verbs are pretty much identical, though the snare is slightly longer in decay):

Don't know if that helps but I thought it might show the benefits of using the room mics like that better than I could explain in words :lol:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts