Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been reading through a bunch of stuff on this and what i've gathered is it is apparently Really cheap and super easy to make a Dummy Load, however no one EVER goes into specific details of How to make one as in exactly to use for the wiring, for the resisitors, and everything. Also I know that these little dummy load boxes can get quite hot....do you think it would need a fan? If I can build one for $30 or less i'll be a Very happy man. I know I need resistors that add up to 50 Watts @ 8 Ohms, I of course need a mono jack...which I have. I'm pretty sure I could make one If I had better instructions than a very crappy schematic thrown at me and nothing else. :lol:

I basically just want a dummy load box, so I can plug that into my speaker out, and then be able to use the FX Send or the Slave Out direct into my recording interface and use my Mesa with Impulse Responses.

Another question... would it sound better to have an output to go to the interface from the dummy load box itself rather than using the slave out or effects loop send? I know I already have one output jack, I may actually have a second one hiding somewhere in my abundance of guitar electronics/hardware. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Make sure your total resistors are good to at least 150% (if not 200%+) of the wattage of your amp.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure your total resistors are good to at least 150% (if not 200%+) of the wattage of your amp.
So for my 50w amp i'd at least want to have 150 to 200 watts of resistors? Or just make sure that 50w of the resistors I use can handle my amp? I was thinking of having the resistors be higher than the actual amp anyway: in theory a lot of cabs can handle a lot more watts than the amp its used for (cabs rated at 200+ watts etc) so I thought the dummy load doing this should be fine as long as the ohm reading is correct.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
So for my 50w amp i'd at least want to have 150 to 200 watts of resistors? Or just make sure that 50w of the resistors I use can handle my amp? I was thinking of having the resistors be higher than the actual amp anyway: in theory a lot of cabs can handle a lot more watts than the amp its used for (cabs rated at 200+ watts etc) so I thought the dummy load doing this should be fine as long as the ohm reading is correct.
Would be 75W to 100W.

If you're just going to use the Effects Send, why not just leave your amp in Standby? If you're taking the signal after the preamp and not trying to get the power amp in the mix with a DI box, no need for a load box.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
A big chunk of the Recto sound is the power amp though. Unless your IR includes the Recto poweramp, it might not be a bad idea to get an attenuator of some kind for direct recording.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I can get the power amp in the mix that would be great. That way I can have the true Rectifier head sound as well as mixing the preamp with all the different IR's with power sections as well. I didn't think that leaving the Recto in standby would work. I know it works for some amps, but from what I read I was led to believe the Solo 50 was not one of those amps. :shrug:

I guess ideally I need to make a dummy load that also has an output to send to the recording interface, that way I have the power section of the amp, and then when I want only the preamp I can use the FX Loop or the Slave Out. Still searching trying to find more info. I've got a buddy that is really good with amp electronics so maybe I should ask him for some advice.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still looking up info. I've asked my drummer's father, who is a guitar amp guru so hopefully i'll have a reply soon and he will be able to tell me exactly what I need to make it and if it will be as cheap as I think it will be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts