Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Blackstar HT5r combo that I dig, but I really want a 5 watt head and two 1x10 or 1x12 cabs. Mainly just to scratch the itch of missing my JCM900/twin Carvin 4x12 stack. The ability to spread the speakers apart to get a wider sound field appeals to me and I've always thought the mini-stacks look cool for some odd reason.

At first, I was going to get a Blackstar HT Metal 5 stack, but played through an HT 5 metal head into an old beat up Laney cab and it didn't impress me at all. Now, maybe the cab had jacked speakers in it, and it was at a store so I was playing a Jackson that had EMGs in it and I only had about 5 minutes to screw around, so it's not like I gave the amp a fair shake. (Nothing against EMGs, I've just never had anything other than Duncan or Dimarzio passive pups.)

I'm finally at the point where I want to pull the trigger and now I'm torn as to whether I should get either a Blackstar HT5RS, an HT Metal 5H, a Randall Diavlo RD5H or something else entirely. Not looking for "modern cutting edge metal tone", just trying to get the same crushing old school death metal tone I had in the 90s when I was gigging using nothing more than a Boss OD-2 and my JCM900.

Another variation is a buddy of mine has his own guitar company and hot rods pedals, so he took my Boss MT-2 I was going to sell and found a hot-mod for it to turn it into a cross between a JCM and a Recto. Don't have the pedal back yet but want to see how it pushes the HT5R combo I have now before I finally pull the trigger on another amp.

The benefit to sticking with Blackstar is I love the tones I get now and finding the heads with the cabinets is pretty easy.

The intrigue to the Randall is just something new, but finding the cabinets to go with it might create a bigger, more expensive challenge. Would love a mini-recto but don't have that kinda dough.

Also, what's been your experience with the difference from a 1x10 to a 1x12? I know the whole "more frontal square inches = bigger sound" thing, but is there really that much difference from a 10 to a 12?

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why does it need to be 5 watts? Id just get a 6505mh. Theyre not very loud anyway. Or a DSL20HR.
Pretty much a volume thing. If I turn the HT5r up past 1/3 it drowns out the TV in the living room (and the amp's in my office down the hall), etc. So, If I had something pushing 20,50 or 100 watts I don't think I could get a good breakup without making it too loud.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Don’t you know how 5150/6505s work? You’ll get all the gain you need. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Or you could spend like 2x as much and get a Marshall JVM1. Get the 6505MH.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Pretty much a volume thing. If I turn the HT5r up past 1/3 it drowns out the TV in the living room (and the amp's in my office down the hall), etc. So, If I had something pushing 20,50 or 100 watts I don't think I could get a good breakup without making it too loud.
The 6505MH is all preamp gain. Not only that, but the 6505MH (and all the Peavey 20w series) are the quietest 20 watt tube amps I've ever played. So I don't think you'll have any issues. Besides, it'll go from 20w to 5w to 1w.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
TNot only that, but the 6505MH (and all the Peavey 20w series) are the quietest 20 watt tube amps I've ever played.
Except when Mike's playing one at rehearsal. :lol:

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
The Peavey also switchs from 20 down to 5 and 1 watt options as well as 0 watts to just go direct. It also has a good clean sound and reverb..it really is a cool little amp.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The Recto is probably more sensitive low on the volume knob than the Peavey. The Mark V:25 on the other side of me is even worse.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Randall has that 3 channel pedalboard 1 watt amp too, not sure if that would interest you or not since I have not seen anyone demo it so no idea if it's any good but kind of neat I guess.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Get a clean amp and slam it with your MT-2. Fender super champ xd head comes to mind.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
HOTONE Heart Attack! Most Recto-like Recto tone from a non-Recto amp :yesway:

Big (bedroom) sound small price, no messing around with tubes.. & carry it around in your pocket :D

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the info. I love/hate y'all for spending my money. :lol:

Or you could spend like 2x as much and get a Marshall JVM1. Get the 6505MH.
Saw the thread title and came here to say exactly this. I have one and its my go to when playing at home.
The 6505MH is all preamp gain. Not only that, but the 6505MH (and all the Peavey 20w series) are the quietest 20 watt tube amps I've ever played. So I don't think you'll have any issues. Besides, it'll go from 20w to 5w to 1w.
Agreed. I think the 6505MH is what you're looking for.
Ok, so I guess I'm going to find a 6505 to try out - even though it's like twice the price of what I've been looking at. Peavey always makes me nervous as the first big ticket head I ever bought was a Peavey Butcher and it was an unreliable hunk of hot garbage. Traded it in for my Marshall after a month (lost all kinds of cash on the deal) and never looked back. But, that was in 1993...

What about just getting an attenuator?
Thought about that, but then I'd talk myself into needing $2-3000 worth of head and cabs that I really don't need.

The Peavey also switchs from 20 down to 5 and 1 watt options as well as 0 watts to just go direct. It also has a good clean sound and reverb..it really is a cool little amp.
It does seem like a really cool option. Have to get over having to spend $500 on a small head, then still need cabs though. But, probably get what I pay for...

The Recto is probably more sensitive low on the volume knob than the Peavey. The Mark V:25 on the other side of me is even worse.
Would love a recto, but: broke.

Randall has that 3 channel pedalboard 1 watt amp too, not sure if that would interest you or not since I have not seen anyone demo it so no idea if it's any good but kind of neat I guess.
The Randall's really intrigue me, but I don't think anyone in town has 'em for me to check out.

This one is about 4 hours away, but we just went to Houston twice in the last month and not sure when we'll get back up there. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Randall/RD5H-Diavlo-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head.gc

Get a clean amp and slam it with your MT-2. Fender super champ xd head comes to mind.
Might be a good idea. I almost never cranked the high gain on the JCM, just pushed the clean with the OD-2.

HOTONE Heart Attack! Most Recto-like Recto tone from a non-Recto amp :yesway:

Big (bedroom) sound small price, no messing around with tubes.. & carry it around in your pocket :D
Nothing about that says "look, I have a stack!" :lol: I'm fighting off old man disease and you're not helping.

Anyone have input on the 1x10 vs 1x12 cab thing?

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This has to be one of the driest, most boring sales pitches I've ever watched, but man that amp and tone sells the snot out this thing.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts