Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Which option?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What I Have: I have a Fender MIM Stratocaster with the stock single-coils. I'm using my DigiTech RP350 setting to convert SC>HB (single-coils to humbuckers). If I change/get pickups I will buy GFS, GuitarHeads, or something like those. I've heard that they are really good quality for the price. I won't buy any "name brand" stuff. It's just nonsense IMO. Really I'm fine with the "amp" I have. My DigiTech RP350 sounds great through my 12" powered speaker. That Behringer EQ, I need to get one anyways. That's almost a must-have for anyone wanting to do some tone-tweaking and creating.

All I need is HSH or HHH and 24 frets.

So here's my options:

Option #1.0: Buy SX SR1 guitar from Rondo Music

Option #1.1: Buy SX SR1 from Rondo Music and change pickups

Option #2.0: Buy used guitar with 24 frets with HSH

Option #2.2: Buy used guitar with 24 frets routed for HSH or HHH and change pickups

Option #3.0: Change pickups in Fender Strat

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
I think you need to decide what it is you want from a guitar more. You've got a lot of demands up there, but still have 7 different ways you could go about it.

Frankly, I don't think you can do what you want to do with only $200. You can certainly try, but I don't think anything that you come up with will be worth the effort and expenditure. Why not trade the Strat to someone for something like a DK2 or an RG550?

Also, while tone controls are nice, adding more is probably overkill.

Lastly, who said strats can't be made metal? Why not just get a Black HSS pickguard and install some nice powerful pickups?

·
18,790 Posts
Either put a humbucker or two in your Strat and buy a new amp, or buy a new guitar that already has humbuckers and a new amp. To be honest, I don't know why you think you need those specific pickups, there's a lot of great guitars out there that come with great pickups right out of the box, and a lot of great pickup replacement options. Hell, the easiest would be to get a single-coil sized humbucker like the Seymour Duncan JB Jr and put it in the bridge position of your Strat.

Lots of metal players use Strats with humbuckers in the bridge, and a bunch even use single-coils.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I'm with zero here. You should just get a new pickguard you could easily get a new hss one with a new upgraded bridge pickup for now and use the stock singles and it would be well under $200. In the future you could save up for a second guitar and/or better pickups for the neck and mid on your current guitar.:2cents:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Damn that is a lot of options. :lol:

As for metal i think you will find most people here believe that Sound > looks. Having a great playing/sounding guitar that looks killer is a nice bonus.

What kind of tone are you looking for? Strats can do metal pretty well actually - you might just want to replace your stock single coils. There are some budget prewired pickguards (like $60 range) that would probably be a slight improvement but really to get good pickups you are going to have to spend some more money.

How much of a budget do you have? (it sounds like it is fairly slim) For a cheap guitar good for metal there are a lot of choices in the low end that are fairly decent (Ibanez/ESP/Jackson all have nice low end guitars)

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
Well, I would prefer a new HSS Pickguard, and buy 2 new PUs.
One SeymourDuncan PATB1 (Thank me later), better find a used one
The Single for the neck can be many thins, ask around and get a used one. The middle PU can wait till you get more money.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
What kind of tone are you looking for? Strats can do metal pretty well actually - you might just want to replace your stock single coils. There are some budget prewired pickguards (like $60 range) that would probably be a slight improvement but really to get good pickups you are going to have to spend some more money.
+1

And then for $20 you can pick up some borax, a bucket, and some Rustoleum and swirl the shit out of your Strat. Totally metal. :lol:

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tell me this. What does a guitar with 2 HBs sound like when switched to the middle position? Is it like having a single-coil rail in the middle? This is very important because I currently like using a slightly warmer sound for my rhythm but not as warm as my neck pickup and not as cold as my bridge pickup. I like both of them, I just like the middle better.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Tell me this. What does a guitar with 2 HBs sound like when switched to the middle position? Is it like having a single-coil rail in the middle?
If the humbuckers are 4 conductor, you can wire them pretty much any way you want. I've got a HH guitar with a three-way switch with this config:

\ = Bridge
| = Neck-side coil of Neck
/ = Neck

...because I love the sound of a neck single coil.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not going to be particularly helpful here, but I'm really keen to understand what on earth you are talking about here? :spock:
I'm not going to buy anything Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan. GFS or GuitarHeads is what I would buy. Most people who have tried the X2N said it was not as good as GFS's Power Rails for $35 instead of $70 or whatever the X2Ns are. Pickups are not that expensive material wise. It's nuts, for me anyways, to pay that much for some magnets and wire.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the humbuckers are 4 conductor, you can wire them pretty much any way you want. I've got a HH guitar with a three-way switch with this config:

\ = Bridge
| = Neck-side coil of Neck
/ = Neck

...because I love the sound of a neck single coil.
I was just wondering when you have a HH guitar in the middle position where both HBs are selected if it sounds like the guitar is using a middle pickup. Not raw and raunchy like the bridge but not warm and fuzzy like the neck. An in between sound just like a middle HB. Maybe something like parallel or series wiring does this? I don't know what either of those it is that would get me what I want. Can someone clarify?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
If you're having doubts about using strats for metal:

2:53, notice what Jon Lavessuer is playing (and played with for almost all his time in Cryptopsy) -- A Fat strat.

Edit:

BTW, your mexi-strat is a FAR better guitar than the SX series from rondo.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I'm not going to buy anything Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan. GFS or GuitarHeads is what I would buy. Most people who have tried the X2N said it was not as good as GFS's Power Rails for $35 instead of $70 or whatever the X2Ns are. Pickups are not that expensive material wise. It's nuts, for me anyways, to pay that much for some magnets and wire.
People pay $250 for a single pickup ;)

The reason why I'd go with a known brand is because you know it's going to be a good product. Buy used.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're having doubts about using strats for metal:

YouTube - ‪Cryptopsy - Cold Hate Warm Blood Live‬‎

2:53, notice what Jon Lavessuer is playing (and played with for almost all his time in Cryptopsy) -- A Fat strat.

Edit:

BTW, your mexi-strat is a FAR better guitar than the SX series from rondo.
Yeah, I know! My mom, yes I'm 16 I do have a mom, says I shouldn't mod my Fender Strat 'cause it will lower the resale value. I do respect my mom's opinion but I feel I should do otherwise. There wouldn't, for me, be aneed to keep my Fender Strat if I had the guitar I really wanted. IDK a lot about that resale value stuff but it seems like a lot of guys actually made more money on the guitars BY changing the pickups.

So I guess the real question is: Will me changing the pickups, correctly, on my Strat lower the resale value of my guitar? I would keep the stock PUs and pickguard and everything if I was to ever sell it. Maybe I should buy an all new pickguard assembly? New pots, wiring, and pickguard, and knobs and everything? I'm going to have to get 500k pots, a push/pull pot, and a new pickguard anyways.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
People pay $250 for a single pickup ;)

The reason why I'd go with a known brand is because you know it's going to be a good product. Buy used.
Doesn't mean that I can justify it or any others above $75 for that matter. GFS does returns you know, and I can purchase from a lot of those companies through eBay which will give me some security. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.