Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Budget ~$1500 or so.

Any body wood will do. I'd prefer a hardtail or 2-point but will double lock if I must. I have a boatload of neck humbuckers and only one neck single'd guitar.

No LTDs. I sniff too many corks.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Most models that I can think of have been mentioned (the RG565, Caparison Horus). Other than those - perhaps a used ESP M-II Deluxe? There's also the Charvel Fusion Deluxe, but that's already way below budget, as well as the Charvel Model 3R (but that has a crappy trem).

There's also some suber obscure models like the Ibanez 540S-SH - which I regret finding out about just now, because it's now my dream guitar.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Do a Warmouth build? Make it how you want, that budget is perfect.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's also some suber obscure models like the Ibanez 540S-SH - which I regret finding out about just now, because it's now my dream guitar.
Wow. Hell yeah, that woul work. I had a 550 in that finish, I love that color.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Perhaps some of the 24 fret JS models (JS2410 or JS2450) can be found used in that price range? Then there's also the JS24P, but I guess that goes into the LTD-category (Premium -series).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sadly I've owned a few San Dimas along the way and they aren't for me either. A little too Stratty for my tastes.

I've been looking for the right ESP Maverick for a while but they're all either overpriced or beat to hell. The best one I've seen was for sale by these cunts:

Beautiful guitar, but big nope.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Budget ~$1500 or so.

Any body wood will do. I'd prefer a hardtail or 2-point but will double lock if I must. I have a boatload of neck humbuckers and only one neck single'd guitar.

No LTDs. I sniff too many corks.
Most H-S guitars tend to be solid body.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I've played a lot of really nice Warmoths, but never once found one that was for me.
That's a shame, but I get it. It is kinda rolling the dice. That being said, I don't think I'll ever pay over a grand again for something that's not a Warmoth. I like getting exactly what I want, and for that to happen with other builders (except das Kiesel) it's just not in the cards for Casa de Jeff.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a shame, but I get it. It is kinda rolling the dice. That being said, I don't think I'll ever pay over a grand again for something that's not a Warmoth. I like getting exactly what I want, and for that to happen with other builders (except das Kiesel) it's just not in the cards for Casa de Jeff.
Just the opposite for me. I'd never pay over a grand for any Warmoth. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
24 fret mandatory?

You are pretty much exclusively looking at custom orders, short runs, or more obscure models. Most of them are going to be double locking too.

The Warmoth shit is actually great, but the lack of name cachet is off putting. I'll be the first to admit I think the Warmoth stuff I've had was great, but I'm not clamoring to go out and trade my fancy brand name guitars for their stuff.

Also, as a guy with an HS guitar he loves, don't bother with the shit with weird slant neck singles. The whole point of HS over HSS is having shit not in the way. Not only does the stuff with slant neck routes put it back to being sort of in the way, it looks ugly unless there is a matching angled end to the fretboard it is flush against.

Maverick shit is a huge no. Most people looking at those don't realize the vintage era Maverick stuff is its own fucked up body shape. It's a wonky super strat derivative.

There are loads of Jackson custom orders in that vein. You'll have to wait around though. Not that it's a problem. It's basically strictly aesthetic obviously, there's no functional advantage over an HSS over the nice feeling of paying a premium for something without shit you don't need in the way. There is no functional difference between an HS guitar and an HSS with the middle single dropped to a height where it is out of the way and disconnected. :lol: There are actually quite a few HS guitars out there that have the HSS form factor. The Blackmore signature strats have dummy middle singles.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Just the opposite for me. I'd never pay over a grand for any Warmoth. :lol:
Well, generally the body and neck don't exceed that, but pickups, bridge, tuners, etc. add up. My last one was $1200. Build quality was flawless too. AND.....I still have it. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 150 Posts