Metalguitarist.org banner

21 - 40 of 150 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Most of the cool ESP shit is going to be out too. There are HS horizons and shit from 88-92, but the Sinclair trem is a piece of shit. It's bad enough having to replace it on a guitar with a non recessed bridge. There are quite a few cool ESP models that are basically unbuyable because they have recessed Sinclairs.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Well, generally the body and neck don't exceed that, but pickups, bridge, tuners, etc. add up. My last one was $1200. Build quality was flawless too. AND.....I still have it. :rofl:
Warmoth's are perfectly nice and worth the money, everyone likes paying for a name on the headstock though, and people that pretend they don't are deluding themselves.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Warmoth's are perfectly nice and worth the money, everyone likes paying for a name on the headstock though, and people that pretend they don't are deluding themselves.
I disagree. I don't really care who's name is on the headstock, because there's a massive portion of the industry that doesn't even make their own guitars anyway. There's no such thing as a Friedman guitar, Ibanez, etc. If the company with the sticker on the headstock didn't make it anyway, who really cares? Maybe I'm just justifying it to myself, but I'm not ashamed of having a "partscaster".

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I love those, but if I drop 4K on an ESP it's going to that white M-II that pops up from time to time with the blank ebony board and black binding. It's a lot like this, but with a bound body. It looks fantastic and the seller wants like 5k for it which is not in the cards for me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-M-II-CTM-Snow-White/254777355272

Most of the cool ESP shit is going to be out too. There are HS horizons and shit from 88-92, but the Sinclair trem is a piece of shit. It's bad enough having to replace it on a guitar with a non recessed bridge. There are quite a few cool ESP models that are basically unbuyable because they have recessed Sinclairs.
Yeah, it really is. There have been a few sea foam Mirages I've had pop on on the 'bay over the years with the older-but-still-cool headstock, but I don't want to deal w/the Sinclair.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I disagree. I don't really care who's name is on the headstock, because there's a massive portion of the industry that doesn't even make their own guitars anyway. There's no such thing as a Friedman guitar, Ibanez, etc. If the company with the sticker on the headstock didn't make it anyway, who really cares? Maybe I'm just justifying it to myself, but I'm not ashamed of having a "partscaster".
I'm with Garrett. I like seeing the cool name on the headstock, it's why I'll never own an E-II or an LTD. I think it was actually you that I agreed with in the other thread, wasn't it? :lol: If I didn't care what it said on the headstock I'd just buy an LTD.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
OP is very clearly Chris implying that he knows perfectly well what he is describing is a Suhr, but he is going to waste time and money looking at and getting other shit. :lol:

Caparison is a real option, their headstocks are fucked. LAG has some obscure stuff too. Those are all going to be double locking.

There's obscure shit like Zion and Robin, but most people will want a name with more recognition.

Jackson stuff and ESP stuff, you are going to have to convince 90% of the guys selling them to get it down to a price it is actually worth, as most of those are listed at least $600 high. Also all going to be double locking.

The modern HS horizons with the heavily recessed trems are basically unplayable for a lot of people. Arched top with a heavily recessed trem isn't a great combo. If you are looking for a two point v trem or a hard tail, that is not what you want in terms of playability, even if the pickup config checks boxes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
OP is very clearly Chris implying that he knows perfectly well what he is describing is a Suhr, but he is going to waste time and money looking at and getting other shit. :lol:
I don't think I've ever seen a non-fully-custom Modern that was H-S. (Or any Modern/Pro series, to be honest.) They're all H-S-H or H-H. Suhr makes the Classic T but that's a bluesy strat thing that totally isn't my thing.

Not to naren you, bu I said I wanted an H-S guitar for around $1500, which in no way whatsoever describes a Suhr. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm with Garrett. I like seeing the cool name on the headstock, it's why I'll never own an E-II or an LTD. I think it was actually you that I agreed with in the other thread, wasn't it? :lol: If I didn't care what it said on the headstock I'd just buy an LTD.
I agreed with it for the E-II stuff, yes. I think it's a little different there though, because you're not going into it knowing it's a partscaster. Additionally, I WOULD own an E-II, because they're great guitars. I understand everyone's different though.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a non-fully-custom Modern that was H-S. (Or any Modern/Pro series, to be honest.) They're all H-S-H or H-H. Suhr makes the Classic T but that's a bluesy strat thing that totally isn't my thing.

Not to naren you, bu I said I wanted an H-S guitar for around $1500, which in no way whatsoever describes a Suhr. :lol:
You're looking for a needle in a haystack though, especially if you want a V trem or a flatmount thing over double locking, and the vast majority of HS listings are being sold by people who unrealistically think it's a $600 premium option. It's a really cool visual upgrade over an HSS.

The older used stuff like Jacksons or ESPs also do involve the very real chance that you might track down what you want and it's not super inspiring for whatever reason. All the discontinued shit you would have to buy used not only involves waiting around for what you want to come up, but waiting around for a seller who doesn't have their head up their ass.

You should probably not let yourself get talked into another situation where after a headache inducing journey you once again arrive at the moral of "buy nice or buy twice/thrice". Have we learned nothing from the journey from "this Bugera attenuater is good enough for me!" to "dual captii"? :lol:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I agreed with it for the E-II stuff, yes. I think it's a little different there though, because you're not going into it knowing it's a partscaster. Additionally, I WOULD own an E-II, because they're great guitars. I understand everyone's different though.
See that's where you're wrong. You've got your parties muddled up...

There are two types of balls. There are big brave balls, and there are little mincy balls. And the fact that you've got E-II.... Written on the headstock of your guitar... And the fact that I've got E. S. P., Made In Japan, written on the headstock of mine... Should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
See that's where you're wrong. You've got your parties muddled up...

There are two types of balls. There are big brave balls, and there are little mincy balls. And the fact that you've got E-II.... Written on the headstock of your guitar... And the fact that I've got E. S. P., Made In Japan, written on the headstock of mine... Should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence.
:rofl:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
$1500 is also the worst possible price point for guitars. It's even more fence fitting than like ~$350, but not over $400. You've either gotta go higher or lower.

Most of the guitars listed for that are just $800-1200 guitars people think they can get someone to overpay for.

If you do want to do the ESP thing though, or any older double locking semi obscure one, don't even fuck around with the domestic shit from private sellers that is heavily worn, stick to exclusively the $150 for shipping stuff from japan that is probably going to get their faster anyways. People balk at that stuff, but everytime I have personally gone for it it's always been the way better deal.

The $150 for shipping is always actually a really good deal. Domestically listed ESPs from private sellers are a fucking joke. You can get premium ones from Japan for zero hassle.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Although there are definitely some cool HS Bunker era Ibanez HS things you should be able to find. Necromancers Castle finish or GTFO. You never said there were any criteria for glorious graphic finishes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The $150 for shipping is always actually a really good deal. Domestically listed ESPs from private sellers are a fucking joke. You can get premium ones from Japan for zero hassle.
Yeah, the actual act of getting my 2120 from Ishibashi was smooth as hell. I bought the guitar after I bought that Edwards from like Ohio, and the Ishibashi guitar showed up before it. Everything was great until I opened it up and it needed to be refretted after paying ~$150 customs on it, followed by Ishibashi telling me to fuck right off when I asked if we could work something out.

Easy transaction but no fucking way will I ever buy a guitar from them again. I had the option to return it as long as I paid the return shipping and eat the duty cost. Good times.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Yeah, the actual act of getting my 2120 from Ishibashi was smooth as hell. I bought the guitar after I bought that Edwards from like Ohio, and the Ishibashi guitar showed up before it. Everything was great until I opened it up and it needed to be refretted after paying ~$150 customs on it, followed by Ishibashi telling me to fuck right off when I asked if we could work something out.

Easy transaction but no fucking way will I ever buy a guitar from them again. I had the option to return it as long as I paid the return shipping and eat the duty cost. Good times.
Yeah, not an Ibanez dude so I wouldn't know, but the ESPs I've personally got and friends have got were way better than anything you could get in the US conditionally. I don't think it's the same company. Both of the major Japanese guys shipping out pristine 80s ESPs have good reputations.

The late 80s Mirages and stuff are definitely "don't even bother with US private sellers" territory.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
I mean, are we just gonna ignore Ola's Solar Guitar H-S options? Anyways, another from the Ibanez lineage would be the 540P-II, better known as the Alex Skolnick model. Outside of that, there's also the Hamer Californian. The older Made in the USA (1st gen) ones are priced over your budget but the Hamer Slammer Korean ones (2nd gen) would be well under. Older Charvel has the 550XL and Kramer has the Pro-Axe.

21 - 40 of 150 Posts