Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a good dependable guitar I can take with me to gigs and not worry about damaging them. Right now my main guitar is a Dean From Hell ML. I love it to death but in the past few weeks I have really damaged it and would like to get a "beater" I can rely on but if it gets damaged it's no big deal. I have come across 2 guitars today. The first is a Peavey Predator EXP with the floyd rose and the other being a snow white Jackson JS22R with a fixed trem. I know the pickups are probably cheap and no good but I have a Bill Lawrence L500-L and L500-XL waiting to go in. The guitar has to have a floyd rose and the shop selling both can install a floyd for about $70, not including the trem obviously so the Jackson would be alittle more after that. Which one would you guys pick here? Both are around the same price. The guitar will be used for thrash metal if it matters. P.S Im sorry if this is the wrong section, im new here. Thanks

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
What is your price range?

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
I play a cheap Jackson Dinky. Works great and doesn't matter if it get beat up. Can get one around $500ish I imagine.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
It sounds like it's a "floating bridge" that you want, not necessarily a "floyd rose". ;)

There are a lot of shitty floating bridges out there, so don't assume that they're all the same thing. A guitar with a shitty one is going to be an intonation nightmare. Price range is everything. :yesway:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

Look around used. Those are both meh guitars (not bad but nothing special) but are enough that for the same cash used you can get something really solid.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (like MAGIC!)

Find a pre-loved Japanese-made Ibanez RG with some kind of Edge variant.

/thread

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I went and checked them out again and turns out the Jackson was a JS1R not the JS22R. I have heard alot of bad reviews about these and I wasnt impressed when I played it. I ended up buying the Peavey because he took $50 off and I like the way it plays. I beat the f%#k out of the Floyd doing my best Dimebag impression and after about 20 minutes of thrashing she was still perfectly in tune so it was a go. I cant wait to get the Bill Lawrence pickups in there. Thanks for all the input guys

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, if you are considering spending $200 for the guitar and $70 on the Floyd Rose install (and I doubt the shop was including parts in that, $70 for parts and labor on a Floyd Rose install would entail the shittiest Floyd AND the shittiest labor) you should look elsewhere. For $270 these is a tremendous amount of awesome stuff on the market. The option you are looking at are both lackluster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry Greg I hit the wrong button and posted too early. I edited it so we're good. The reason I was considering the Jackson was because I read the model wrong and thought it was helluva deal.....turns out not. I started out on a Peavey Tracer so it's kinda cool to get another one. I already love this thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts