Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading Melvyn Hiscock's book, I've decided that I'm going to try my hand at luthiery. All of the tools I need I have ready access to, whether it's my father-in-law's, or the local high school. I want to start my venture in guitar building by just building a body and buying a neck from ET Guitars or designing a headstock and having it made by Soulmate. It's basically going to be an RG7 copy just for simplicity's sake.

Specs: (tentative)
Body:
1: Claro Walnut, I love the grain on this particular species and the sound as well thanks to Darren's Javelin and Rick Toone's Starfish. I know that walnut is stubborn and doesn't take to random pickup changes; it's going to be a chore to really "find" the tone with this body.
2:Black Limba, again the grain makes me soil my underwear and it's supposed to be a super-mahogany, with a more complex midrange.
3:Mahogany, just a classic wood and what all of my current instruments are made of. Mahogany rules.
I really am unsure, as I flip between claro walnut and black limba :scream:
Hardware
Hipshot 7 black bridge(.125 spacing)
Volume and tone could be push-pulls, or coil splitting switches, with a 3-way switch. I'm not sure if I want to make the mini-switches to be coil splits or series/parallel switches for each pickup.
7 Sperzel locking tuners(black)

Pickups/Electronics
Probably Bareknuckle Aftermaths, I'm not sure if Alnico or ceramic is the way to go. I will need lots of advice in this area. I don't know much about pups, but I'm not a complete beginner.
I want to put in a Graphtech Piezo so I'll need to leave room for an additional output because I don't want to do a stereo output and a Y cable.
500K pots, I'm not sure about capacitor values.

Anyhow, this should be a fun and rewarding project that I hope to start this summer/fall with it all coming together in the spring/summer of 2012. I'll be purchasing a lot of the harware in advance. I look forward to and encourage everyone's ideas and input! :yesway:

Let's make an awesome guitar :metal:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Walnut is no harder than maple, really. But any of the figured woods, especially burls, tend to have more dense patches.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

>

imo. I love the look of claro walnut and I plan on just oiling and waxing the wood so I think walnut is where I wil go. Any pups you guys can recommend?

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the pickups; what type of music?
I was thinking it would be used for music that is dynamically similar to Opeth and maudlin of the Well. It needs to be able to deliver in the heavies and be crystal clear/bright in the cleans. Definition is the key. I like the Bare knuckle Aftermath's, but I've also seen rave reviews about Painkillers. BKP's aren't the only option, but a quality one :yesway:

·
abides
851 Posts
As far as BKPs go, the Nailbombs would be my recommendation - just about as versatile as you can get, with an extremely open and rich voicing that should work great for the styles you referenced :yesway:

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Posted this in the amp section but I'm sure a mod will fix that very soon.

Anyway, I have a 7 string with BKP Cold sweats and I love BKP to death! The Cold Sweats are ridiculously awesome as said before very bright and articulate. My 7 string has a Mahogany Body with maple cap and a mahogany neck with a rosewood board and the cold sweats suit it perfectly. I heard the Aftermaths are a warmer and hotter version of the Cold Sweats. Personally when I choose pickups I like them to sound opposite of the guitar so it complements the tone and never have a muddy or harsh sounding guitar.

·
Dont you love balls?
1,482 Posts
I think before you decide pickups though it's essential to know the woods you'll be using. Once you know them you can pick exactly the right pickups to accentuate what you want while, for example, not creating harshness in the high end or muddy lows for example.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've finally decided on a solid claro walnut body, though a heavy piece of walnut will only damped and swallow the mids and give the overall tone a nasal one. I will A/B some of those BKP's and get back to everyone! This just makes me even more excited to get this rolling.

Neck options:
Sill unsure, but there's ET guitars for a pretty straight forward neck, maple with optional bubinga, purpleheart, or wenge skunkstripe. Then there is Soulmate Customs, but I'd have to design a headstock which sounds awesome, but scary.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Soulmate > ET, for people in the States. The only thing ET offers over Don is the direct Ibanez replacement neck. I haven't played anything ET's done, but Soulmate does *incredible* work at excellent and reasonable prices.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts