Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a piece of something I'm working on, so pardon sloppy playing/mixing, it's the HD500 direct into Reaper with absolutely nothing done to it. The kick drum isn't going to be quite as monotonous, but right now I'm more concerned with the damn hats.

When I play the part with the stops, they sound a lot better, but before and after, I've no fucking idea how to make them not insanely repetitive. It's driving me insane. :lol:

http://www.metalguitarist.org/chris/hats-1.mp3

Again this is chopped out of the middle of a section, and that section that has an accompaniment that fills it out, so the actual clip may not make much sense out of context. This is just the rhythms with no bass.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Someone needs to write Slippermans Guide to Writing Drums :(

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously. :lol: I wish I had even the slightest inclination what a "Real" drummer would do here in terms of feel, because outside of just hi-hatting every fucking beat like a douche, I don't know how the hell to un-robot this track.

Also if anyone gives a fuck, that tone (unmixed as it is) is Sherman (Ash) with D-Activators into the HD500 w/the Treadplate model and a clean underneath.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
From a drummer feel standpoint, I feel like they would open up the high hat just a little on some of the groove changes to give it some depth.

I can see that making a big difference.

·
18,790 Posts
The HD500 sounds sweet :yesway:

And actually, those hi-hats don't sound bad, just dry. As before, find the most open hi-hat, and maybe change to another cymbal for parts, but overall, the cymbal (hi-hat, ride, or crash) is for keeping time. I mean, how often do you pay attention to the hi-hat part in a song you're listening to? I'm guess not often, except for when they do something cool.

This is a good example, because the camera shows Lars a lot:

The hi-hats are really straight, but they're very open and sizzly. The drum fills and crash hits break it up a bit, but the hi-hats themselves never do anything interesting.

Edit: Even better (camera wise, not song). Proceed to stare at his elbow for 90% of the song. His right arm stays in roughly the same position for much of the song.

Edit 2: How did I never notice the disco beat he throws in at 2:10 before? :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
What I find works really well for thinking of ideas is simply downloading a bunch of tabs of your favorite bands and then opening them with guitar pro and mute all tracks but the drums and see whats going on. Maybe a steal a few ideas here and there :shrug:

BTW that HD does sound REALLY sick especially with zero post production :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.