Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my dad's '02 Subaru Legacy Outback (the model before they became gigantic) is on its way out. He's looking to replace it with something with the following characteristics:

-AWD
-Hatch
-As big as the old Sooby or, preferably, smaller
-Under $30-35k
-More MPG than the outgoing Sooby (which was something like 25 on a VERY good day :lol: )

Looking for recommendations; none of us have bought cars in the past decade, so we're interested to hear what's out there.

He's actually kind of interested in the AWD Volvo C30, too, so something in that form factor would be nice.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New or < 2 years old used.

I've suggested a 328xi wagon, but he's not sure he wants to go the Beemer route at this point. He's also said he doesn't want a VW for some reason, so I'm not sure what he'd think about upmarket VWs :lol:

I'm surprised that there are relatively few small AWD hatches, though.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Very slim pickings with those criteria. People who have Volvo and Subaru wagons tend to hang onto them. Finding a low-mileage used one is rare.

The last-gen Forester is a good suggestion. They're smaller than the Outback/Legacy. Anything Audi or BMW will likely break the budget.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Very slim pickings with those criteria. People who have Volvo and Subaru wagons tend to hang onto them. Finding a low-mileage used one is rare.

The last-gen Forester is a good suggestion. They're smaller than the Outback/Legacy. Anything Audi or BMW will likely break the budget.
Naw, you can get a CPO 3-series/A3/A4 with low miles for 30k easily. Plus you let someone else eat all of the initial depreciation, which is win.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Volvo's catch on fire. seriously. 3 people I know who had them burned to the ground on the side of the high way.

I wouldn't touch one.

If I lived in Vermont, I'd own an Audi AllRoad 2.7tt.

but they stopped making those a few years back (new model sucks).

if he doesn't want vw/audi, that's out anyway.

Xi is a nice car. I liked the last gen 530 wagons as well. not sure you'll break 25 mpg though.

Acura RDX? more crossover than wagon though.

there's really not a lot of options in this segment.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I forgot about the BMW X1… a friend of mine has one and loves it. There's also the MINI Countryman All4, though you might have a hard time finding either one for under $30k.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd be surprised, since Volvo pretty much sells their cars on safety. Which models were they driving?

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Nissan Juke

SHUT UP YOU HATERS I LOVE MINE :lol:

Awesome in the snow, not super expensive, not a mini or a subaru :lol: Really fun to drive (even with cvt) More than adequate engine power. (very surprising acceleration)

Gas mileage is ok if you keep your foot out of the turbo (I average around 29-30 mpg in eco mode If I drive like grandpa but when i hoon it i get around 27.)

Gas tank is small (11.5 gallons on the AWD, closer to 13 for the front drive versions)

WELL YOU ASKED

:wub:

·
(&#9583;°&#9633;°)&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#
1,986 Posts
The BMW X1 drives a lot like a 3 series and if I were looking for a small suv or hatchback it would be high up on my list.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
That's the same type of car I've been looking for. Haven't found much stateside, looking at Volvo's myself (and coming up with an excuse for my dad, the 30+ year UAW member :lol:).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.