Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would have preferred to upload one of the actual tracks, but Reaper/Windows 8/Toontrack is currently a clusterfuck of driver issues and incompatible VSTs on my computer, so here is a quick video of improvised shitty retrothrash to illustrate what I am talking about. Close mic'd/single track with an sm57 at shitty low volumes and then run through the "black metal" insert on EZmix. Which made it sound even worse. Shitty tone ahead.

Anyways, whenever I actually record a riff with these chirping noises/false harmonics/rakes, they don't "pop out"/"glisten" in the mix as much as I would like them too. Adding Chorus makes them shimmer like motherfuckers but Chorus makes all the other parts of thrashy riffing sound like ass.

Best way to deal with this? Advice?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your tone sounds scooped as fuck. add in some mids. add in a lot of mids, turn down the bass. probably turn down your gain a tad too.
Oh yeah, I have mids on like 2 when I just mess around riffing, I usually turn them up for recording, I expect it would help with clarity. :lol:

The fizzy gain is actually mostly from the black metal preset, which purposefully adds fizz for the grimness.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yeah, it sounds really woolly and saturated. You need to tame some of that bottom end and let the midrange and high end breathe a bit.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, hahahahaha, I guess I wasn't clear, I just put the video in to illustrate the kind of playing/chimy harmonics I was talking about to make it clear I wasn't talking about pinch harmonics. This isn't the tone I record with, this tone sounds awful. :lol:

I was more looking for general advice.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I find that this isn't really tone thing, it's more a technique thing. It doesn't sound like you're hitting the sweet spot.

Find it.

Hit it.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Would have preferred to upload one of the actual tracks, but Reaper/Windows 8/Toontrack is currently a clusterfuck of driver issues and incompatible VSTs on my computer, so here is a quick video of improvised shitty retrothrash to illustrate what I am talking about. Close mic'd/single track with an sm57 at shitty low volumes and then run through the "black metal" insert on EZmix. Which made it sound even worse. Shitty tone ahead.

Help my Harmonics Glisten - YouTube

Anyways, whenever I actually record a riff with these chirping noises/false harmonics/rakes, they don't "pop out"/"glisten" in the mix as much as I would like them too. Adding Chorus makes them shimmer like motherfuckers but Chorus makes all the other parts of thrashy riffing sound like ass.

Best way to deal with this? Advice?
theres a couple things you can do to clean up/ make the rakes stand out. when you do them, hold the pick perpindicular to the strings and angle the tip of the pick up towards your mid torso/chest. almost like trying to pull the strings up to you. and ive also noticed good results if you start your rake up in the higher register around 12 or so and slide down to 3-5 while raking. this is a little tough, and you have to do it really fast, but it works! also if you like having chorus on them, just automate a chorus effect in your DAW over the rakes and keep it muted during the thrashy rhythms. hope this helps man!

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
What are you talking about here? I'm a little confused by the word 'false'. It looks like you're playing natural, genuine, 100% home-grown American harmonics, raking over them at the 5th or 4th fret. If so, it just sounds like a mixture of that tone and the speed you're doing them.

Annoyingly, I can't think of any examples of songs with them in now, but they seemed to be everywhere a couple of years ago. I'm sure they were usually given a little more breathing room in the riff when I'd heard them. You just play too damn fast, man!

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
What are you talking about here? I'm a little confused by the word 'false'. It looks like you're playing natural, genuine, 100% home-grown American harmonics, raking over them at the 5th or 4th fret. If so, it just sounds like a mixture of that tone and the speed you're doing them.

Annoyingly, I can't think of any examples of songs with them in now, but they seemed to be everywhere a couple of years ago. I'm sure they were usually given a little more breathing room in the riff when I'd heard them. You just play too damn fast, man!
alot of gojira stuff, tony danza, newer whitechapel...those 3 came to mind first

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Listening again, I think Matt and Geoff are right. It looks like your barring your finger across the strings and keeping it there. You need to try to separate the notes a little with your left hand. It's quite a subtle difference between placing your finger there and rolling it over, but I'm just doing it now, and even the slight 'concession' of trying to roll your finger has a fairly big difference. :2cents:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Your suggestion for us to Skype needs to reach fruition sir, then we can discuss this further and I'll show you how I go about it (badly, but with clothes on)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts