Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello... Glad to be back guys, again with another useless question. I am looking for an amp to buy... A tube amp, for metal, all kinds, death, black, Any metal at all. But I am on a budget, as some of you may know, so I need to get a good one for a low price for home practice and possibly gigging...

I went to my local Sam ash, and tried out a few amps. I found a Bugera 6262 for a pretty cheap price, about $549.99, and their Speaker cabinet is $249.99. The tone was ok, but I didnt krank it, which is where the real metal tone is. I heard some sound clips of it kranked and man it was pretty damn heavy. I Have pedals as well so the FX loop is a bonus. I was thinkin about gettin this amp, and retubing it with a High gain Tube set From Eurotubes, specifically made for this amp, and buying a Sound Attenuator(If anybody knows one thats good and cheaper then the THD Hot plate, please let me know).

I also tried the Blackstar HT-20 Studio and i was able to krank it in the store because it wasnt Too loud, but of course i couldnt krank it all the way lol. But i Really liked the sound of it(Kranked) and It was small and compact and really nice... Not loud for a gig tho but still great for home. I was thinkin bout gettin some high gain tubes from eurotubes for this one as well(does anyone know if its fixed or adustable bias?)

I looked at(Not tried) a peavey Valveking 100 as well, and i liked its look, but idk if its a good metal head or not. If anyone can recommend any peavey's tat would be nice.

I originally wanted an Engl fireball but its WAY out of my budget because I still need the cab. My budget is about 1000 or less sadly for an amp... I dont know which one I want or am leaning toward... if anybody has any ideas or suggestions please let me know... What do you all think? Is a bugera's price worth it or is it a piece of junk? Is the blackstar nice and brutal enough? Does a peavey valveking knock the others away in the dirt?

Thank you all for your kind help :)

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I must point out that you would be mic'd at any gig worth playing, so that HT-20 that sounds good would in fact cut it for gigging ;).

What tones are you going for? It sounds like you may be better off with a quality modeler and one of the atomic powered cabs perhaps (you said all kinds of metal, amps generally do well in 1-3 categories..except there's at least 10 "types" of metal to play)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well ok... If i am in a band, I will probably playing Death metal or black metal, around types of music like Suffocation, Cradle of filth, Septic Flesh, Dimmu Borgir, stuff like tat... Maybe I should have said this in the first place lol. Wat you all think?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
In that price range, the used 5150 or 6505 head with a 2x12 is probably best. I wasn't quite as impressed with the Blackstar HT-20 as I am with the HT-5.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Well ok... If i am in a band, I will probably playing Death metal or black metal, around types of music like Suffocation, Cradle of filth, Septic Flesh, Dimmu Borgir, stuff like tat... Maybe I should have said this in the first place lol. Wat you all think?
Are you shooting for more of a old school suffocation sound or that super tight and clear Septic Flesh. Pretty big difference between:

and

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Are you shooting for more of a old school suffocation sound or that super tight and clear Septic Flesh. Pretty big difference between:

YouTube - Suffocation - Torn Into Enthrallment

and

YouTube - Septic Flesh - Persepolis
Yes yes i know... Im talkin about the heavyness. I love both the heavyness of the guitars and I want to be able to achieve a tone like that. I love the song Lovecrafts death, and Torn into enthrallment/Breeding the Spawn. U kno wat i mean? Sorry... im not good at explaining things. I love septic flesh's tight and heavy guitar... and I love suffocations tone as well... But i may be leanin more toword septic flesh tone...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They're both very different tones but the 5150 will get you very close to Septic Flesh/Decapitated.

YouTube - Decapitated - Spheres Of Madness
Hmm... well lets say I waited for a while till I have a better budget... and I got a higher end amp... Lets say an Engl Fireball 100. How would that do? I saw suffocation use it on stage, some videos on youtube for holland 2010 have them using the fireball 100. I loved the tone... I dont need a tube amp right now, but i do need one... but i can wait if its more worth it. Wat u think?

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Honestly I don't know my amps that well at all and the rest of these guys know a lot more about amps than I do. Disclaimer being given; I didn't really like the Fireballs distortion that much. I've noticed a lot of people tend to sell them after a year or less complaining about how overly compressed they are. The 5150/6505 really isn't bad and I tried it a 6505+ out right next to the Fireball 100. :shrug:

Go to a few stores, fuck around with what they have then narrow it down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly I don't know my amps that well at all and the rest of these guys know a lot more about amps than I do. Disclaimer being given; I didn't really like the Fireballs distortion that much. I've noticed a lot of people tend to sell them after a year or less complaining about how overly compressed they are. The 5150/6505 really isn't bad and I tried it a 6505+ out right next to the Fireball 100. :shrug:

Go to a few stores, fuck around with what they have then narrow it down.
Overly compressed? Hmm... Everytime i play one i never feel that way... The amp does take a bit of adjustment to get the right tone but once u got it, its amazing... I guess thats jus me tho... everybodys different. Ill have to go back to my sam ash'es and try more amps lol.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I would watch craigslist in your area for a used 6505/+. Deals can be had for cheaper than that Bugera, and either one is aggressive enough for what you want. A used Peavey Triple XXX will get a killer Death Metal tone as well(Souls to Deny era Suffocation).

The Engl Fireball is compressed, but some of us actually like that. :lol: The #1 complaint is that the 60 has trouble cutting through a live mix with another guitarist. This was supposedly rectified by the "mid boost" and extra headroom on the 100watt, but there are still people complaining. :shrug: The guys I see selling these because they are "too compressed" usually end up flipping amp after amp as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would watch craigslist in your area for a used 6505/+. Deals can be had for cheaper than that Bugera, and either one is aggressive enough for what you want. A used Peavey Triple XXX will get a killer Death Metal tone as well(Souls to Deny era Suffocation).

The Engl Fireball is compressed, but some of us actually like that. :lol: The #1 complaint is that the 60 has trouble cutting through a live mix with another guitarist. This was supposedly rectified by the "mid boost" and extra headroom on the 100watt, but there are still people complaining. :shrug: The guys I see selling these because they are "too compressed" usually end up flipping amp after amp as well.
See I just want an amp that I can keep an enjoy for years and years to come and wont die(Tubes of course will), and I will not get tired of the tone... I normally find a tone i like and stick with it for a long long time.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
FWIW, my mate had the 60w Fireball, and he plays everything from Suffocation to Morbid Angel and to Decapitated with nothing but an ISP Decimator, and it slayed. I don't think there's a better amp for death metal IMO. I know my next amp will be a Fireball 100, so I can run that and my Blackstar side by side.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
some dude in your area is selling a 6505+ for $1200!!! Makes me lol everytime. Don't buy from that guy. They're less brand new!

San Antonio's Craigslist is pretty busy, but not as busy as Austin's. So +1 to buying one of those used.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.