Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has experience with this one for really heavy and saturated/scooped 1990's Death Metal tones?

I keep hearing so many mixed and contradictory comments about this such as:

- "Not Enough Gain" or "Way too much gain"
- "Can't sound huge" or "Sounds heavier than ENGL"
- "They always f*ck up" or "Built like a tank and indestructible"
- "Can only play Rock" or "Made for Death Metal"

Same with the clips I find online, some have the shittiest tones even when modded, some others sound BETTER than a 5150 even stock.

What's up with that crap?

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I have one, and it has enough gain, the problem is it is very thin sounding. Now, I always ran mine through an old Mosvalve power amp and that may have accounted for that but I don't think so. I have ran other preamps through the Mosvalve and they didn't sound as thin as the Rockmaster.

I do like my Rockmaster and the funny thing is they sound great for recording. Live it just has no balls man. Thats my opinion on it. :yesway:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

They go for so cheap you probably won't lose out much on just buying one and seeing how it goes. I personally prefer the ADA MP1 and MP2 but that's me.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

They go for so cheap you probably won't lose out much on just buying one and seeing how it goes. I personally prefer the ADA MP1 and MP2 but that's me.
When I got mine in 92 I paid around 400 bucks for it :ugh: :lol:

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one, and it has enough gain, the problem is it is very thin sounding. Now, I always ran mine through an old Mosvalve power amp and that may have accounted for that but I don't think so. I have ran other preamps through the Mosvalve and they didn't sound as thin as the Rockmaster.

I do like my Rockmaster and the funny thing is they sound great for recording. Live it just has no balls man. Thats my opinion on it. :yesway:
Thanks for your input. I guess that's why some people Mod them, to make em sound fuller? I'm thinking of buying one in excellent condition for $150 because I really like how it can sound on some clips.

Sad thing is, good rack preamps for live playing are rare. I have the ENGL E570 and I find it lacks a Contour or Mid Freq adjustment knob... It's a great quality preamp but for a 2u rack unit it definitely lacks options. Most of the options on it are useless to me; Contour and Edge buttons just accentuate mids, not even adjustable! I might trade it for the E530 with a graph EQ in the loop and use the Rockmaster for the second cab, I could get the agression of the Rockmaster and the balls of the ENGL maybe. I also could put out my old Rocktron mAXE ss preamp out of retirement :idea: !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts