1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Savage Messiah
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm in possession of a Godin Freeway Classic

And i need help.
The humbucker on the right is damaged. And i need it fixed.
The thing is, i kinda want a more 'metal' sound out of it and thought of passive pickups (EMG 81 maybe?). Is this a good choice or what other options do i have for this?
If i get new pickups (i'm of a lower budget right now) i'm gonna change the other humbucker too if possible.
I also read that changing pickups with EMG's sometimes leads to really annoying tone or something?

please help, i wouldn't want to go out spending a load of money on a 7th guitar just to get it 'metal'.

-Merlin

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
EMG's are active pickups, not passive. Describing a tone as annoying isnt really helpful either :lol:

Some people find they sound too same-y no matter what guitar you put them into because they have an active preamp.

Some people also find them too sterile and cold.

·
Savage Messiah
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't know what the english word for it is xD but really screechy (?) apparently unless you replace all of your pickups with EMG's?

But what would be good pickups for me to use besides EMG's or the ones on it now?

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
I would say if you wanted a More metal sounds you could try a DiMarzio X2N (If by right you mean Bridge. If its the one closer to the neck then dont get the X2N :lol:)

You could also look into some Seymour Duncans, Maybe look into the Blackout Metals as if you wanting active pickups.
Blackouts Metal AHB-2 - Seymour Duncan Humbucker

Oh you could use this: Pickup Selector and find out what kind of DiMarizos would work. I kind of did something and got the X2N, The Tone Zone, and the Super Distortion for a suggestion for the guitars wood type.

The DiMarizos or a Passive Seymour Duncan would probably be better if you can only get one swapped out at a time though.

·
Savage Messiah
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D Activator™ Bridge
DP220
(i can't post links yet)
those came out of the test and they seem practically perfect.

They're also affordable since they're only $69.95 - $109.95
Would these be good solution for my Godin?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Just so you know, you can't really mix a passive pickup with an active one. You generally need to get a set of one or the other. So you can't really get a single EMG and wire it with one of your existing pickups ( I assume you have passive stock pickups?).
If you want some pickups on the cheap, keep an eye out for some used seymour duncans or dimarzios. A lot of their pickups can sound pretty metal if paired with a decent amp.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
Just so you know, you can't really mix a passive pickup with an active one. You generally need to get a set of one or the other. So you can't really get a single EMG and wire it with one of your existing pickups ( I assume you have passive stock pickups?).
If you want some pickups on the cheap, keep an eye out for some used seymour duncans or dimarzios. A lot of their pickups can sound pretty metal if paired with a decent amp.
Are people really still saying this?

Jeff

·
Read Only
10 Posts
D Activator™ Bridge
DP220
(i can't post links yet)
those came out of the test and they seem practically perfect.

They're also affordable since they're only $69.95 - $109.95
Would these be good solution for my Godin?
The DActivator is an awesome pickup. :yesway:

Your guitar is this, yes?

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewayclassicp.htm

Body - Silver Leaf Maple center with Poplar wings
Fingerboard - Maple or Rosewood
Neck - Maple
Scale - 25½"
Electronics - Godin humbucker-single-humbucker, tremolo bridge, double 5-way switch, volume & tone controls

·
Savage Messiah
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The DActivator is an awesome pickup. :yesway:

Your guitar is this, yes?

Godin Guitars
Godin Guitars
this is my guitar, yes. Sorry i wasn't able to post links yet.

But huh, i thought the DP220 was an active pickup?
I tried it out on a few guitars, i like actives better.

D Activator

The DP220 seems like the best option right now because i mostly play lead.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Are people really still saying this?

Jeff
I know you can do it but nobody really bothers. You'd need to use separate pots for each pickup or use a preamp on the passive one to make them work well together. I was just pointing out that generally you go one way or the other with actives.

·
Savage Messiah
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I know you can do it but nobody really bothers. You'd need to use separate pots for each pickup or use a preamp on the passive one to make them work well together. I was just pointing out that generally you go one way or the other with actives.
My guitar tutor has 1 passive and 1 active pickup on the same guitar, but i don't think i'm gonna go through a list of crap just to be able to get it like that. Especially since i have 2 humbuckers And a single pickup on my godin.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Just to make things clear, DiMarzio doesn't make an active pickup. What makes an active pickup is a preamp the is driven by a battery. EMGs are active (except for the Hz model). The D-Activator is a pickup designed to sound like an active pickup, but still retain the clarity and lack of compression that passive pickups offer. It is a really great pickup in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Yeah If the D-Activtors seem prefect get a humbker set of those then get a DiMarzio Single coil for the middle. and like Seanbabs said, they are Passives made to sound like Actives. I've only played one set in an Ibanez Xiphos at a Guitar Center. But they seemed pretty cool pickups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts