Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Bringer of, Satan Ants
3,384 Posts
I had sf 470 jap made.. not prestige. ;)
Same guitar without trem
But I could be wrong. :p
I did look at a wiki page..... so.... lol

Edit.
I really need glasses.

I am old and going blind.. rofl

What year did prestige models start comming out?
I have a 7621 with a 99 serial.
Colour me confused... rofl

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I had sf 470 jap made.. not prestige. ;)
Same guitar without trem
But I could be wrong. :p
I did look at a wiki page..... so.... lol

Edit.
I really need glasses.

I am old and going blind.. rofl

What year did prestige models start comming out?
I have a 7621 with a 99 serial.
Colour me confused... rofl
Prestiges apparently started coming out in 1987, but at first all Japanese models weren't Prestiges like nowadays. Sometime after the year 2000 that changed, so that now all Japanese models and even some Korean models are prestiges.

Edit: okay, the Wiki article doesn't seem to be right, but Prestiges have been around for a long time, and everything else than when the production started should be right.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Prestiges apparently started coming out in 1987, but at first all Japanese models weren't Prestiges like nowadays. Sometime after the year 2000 that changed, so that now all Japanese models and even some Korean models are prestiges.

Edit: okay, the Wiki article doesn't seem to be right, but Prestiges have been around for a long time, and everything else than when the production started should be right.
The "Prestige" line started up in the late 90's.

That guitar looks like a S1520BP, I agree with you there:
1999 Ibanez Catalog

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yup 1530 BP actually yours is made in November of 98 hence the F98 at the start of the serial number. So it is a 1998 / 1999 S1520 for sure :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thats an incorrect statement. Go do some research on The Ibanez Register or Jem Site..... F is for Fujigen factory in japan. The 45 which follows the year dates this guitar to November of 98.

Been an Ibanez collector for close to 20 years. Just cause the next 2 digits in the serial arent "11" doesnt mean it isnt so.

The Fujigen factory has confirmed the following "month to number" translations for dating so far.....

12 = February
57 = June / July
45 = Nov
99 = December

Now that being said even your above statement is false. All Ibanez guitars that have a square heel and a metal stamped neck plate can be dated. They made these up until 94 / 95 which is when they moved to serial number on the back of the headstock. Post 94/95 up until 2000 Ibanez still kept all serial numbers on file.

After 2000 up until 2008 Ibanez did not keep track of any serial number unless the guitar was an LACS or Fujigen custom model. As of today all serial number are being cataloged on all Ibanez models.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Thats an incorrect statement. Go do some research on The Ibanez Register or Jem Site..... F is for Fujigen factory in japan. The 45 which follows the year dates this guitar to November of 98.

Been an Ibanez collector for close to 20 years. Just cause the next 2 digits in the serial arent "11" doesnt mean it isnt so.

The Fujigen factory has confirmed the following "month to number" translations for dating so far.....

12 = February
57 = June / July
45 = Nov
99 = December

Now that being said even your above statement is false. All Ibanez guitars that have a square heel and a metal stamped neck plate can be dated. They made these up until 94 / 95 which is when they moved to serial number on the back of the headstock. Post 94/95 up until 2000 Ibanez still kept all serial numbers on file.

After 2000 up until 2008 Ibanez did not keep track of any serial number unless the guitar was an LACS or Fujigen custom model. As of today all serial number are being cataloged on all Ibanez models.
I've been on Jemsite for over a decade and this is the first I've ever heard of this. Do you have links to specific posts by someone with some reputation?

Oh and I was told, by Ibanez, that my neck heel SN# RG750 can't be traced outside the year of manufacture.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been on Jemsite for over a decade and this is the first I've ever heard of this. Do you have links to specific posts by someone with some reputation?

Oh and I was told, by Ibanez, that my neck heel SN# RG750 can't be traced outside the year of manufacture.
Contact Fujigen they can date it for you and will confirm what I stated above. I know those serials specifically cause I own them and have had them dated by the Fujigen factory. Oh and a friend at the LACS ;)

(Which we all know isnt really in LA ...lol)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Let me talk to my buddy who used to work at the LACS, I will see who hes got over there he still talks to. Hes working for PRS now.

One more thing, have you ever pulled the neck and checked the body or neck heel stamp? No serial numbers?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts