Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so stuck with this it's unreal. I must have wired 50 guitars in my time, but I don't do it often enough for it to stick :lol:

It's an Ibanez S7320, with Caparison pickups. I must have looked at 7 different diagrams for this (there are no Caparison diagrams, only colour codes to use with other diagrams) and every time it's just... wrong.

White is hot, black and bare go to ground, green and red are ... the others :lol: I can get the bridge wired in fine (well, I say "fine" but it's only active in position 4, all other positions are off)... but as soon as I finish wiring the rest from the diagrams, it's just a mess. Noise, wrong configuration, all gone to shit.

So as there are 8 tabs on the back of the 5-way selector, we'll use this model:

Neck <0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0> Bridge

What goes where?! :'(

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, now that looks slightly different from every other 5-way/2-hum config I've seen, so that may just be a good thing... I'll try it and let you know!

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Assuming you still have the stock switch, that should work as long as you have the colour code right on the pickups.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's the stock switch.

Mate, it still didn't fuckin work. I even tried a few different combos, to make sure it's not a colour-code cock-up, and it's still just bullshit. I don't have DMM handy to actually see which colour is which coil but I'll have to borrow one, because there's just no way I'm gonna sit here and do guess-work with a soldering iron :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that must be it tbh, it's the only sensible reason I have left.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
I've destroyed at least a handful of those cort switches in my time. I'd just get the Fender-branded switches, that way you know they'll all have the same pinouts, and they're pretty solid pieces of hardware. They're what I use for everything. So many differnt kinds of 5-way blades (and 3-way) out there, picking one brand and sticking with it is really the only way to go.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Use a multimeter to determine which wires are paired together, then do a quick touch-test (press contacts to an output, touch poles with something metal to get a POP) to determine which coil they are associated with, THEN you'll know exactly what everything is, and won't need a color-code chart :yesway:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Use a multimeter to determine which wires are paired together, then do a quick touch-test (press contacts to an output, touch poles with something metal to get a POP) to determine which coil they are associated with, THEN you'll know exactly what everything is, and won't need a color-code chart :yesway:
Hey, jerk, did you ever stop to consider that not ALL of us have engineering degrees? That's some high-tech bullshit right there.

:lol:

·
McKilzilla
11 Posts
lots of commercial electritions carry multimeters. flukes are great, any friend who works for an electrical shop would have easy access

1 - 12 of 12 Posts