·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I listened to the Satriani one. Pretty interesting.
A little annoying in that he spent a lot of time talking about himself, but since I like Satriani, that's ok.

The Little Wing demo is very well-taught, and the Voodoo Child walk-through is a little bit annoying but the guy's got a good handle on all the minor nuancey things if you care to try nailing them. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Man, awesome post - there are six videos of Satriani talking about Hendrix? Sweeeet! :D

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I watched the Satriani video (cuz I like Satch). It wasn't so much of a lesson as him talking about Hendrix in the sense of how he learned to play guitar because of Hendrix and what he learned from listening to Hendrix and trying to emulate him. It's very obvious to anyone who's listened to Satriani that he's a big Hendrix fan.

Personally I don't want to sound like Hendrix because he's definitely the most emulated guitarist of all time and every single middle-aged cover band out there is trying to copy him. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Personally I don't want to sound like Hendrix because he's definitely the most emulated guitarist of all time and every single middle-aged cover band out there is trying to copy him. :lol:
...and most of them fail spectacularly. :lol:

Jimi's blues and R&B playing, in particular, is exceptional. Most people think Hendrix and think "Purple Haze" or "The Star-Spangled Banner" and, well, what you get is a bunch of predictable bad rock guitarists doing blow-outs with a whammy bar. But his chordal work is spectacular, and he's one of the most nuanced electric blues players I've ever heard. There's a ton to learn from there, if you know where to look.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
When I was a teenager, I hated "Hey Joe", since I thought it was boring. Now I marvel at his chord and arrangement work. The evidence of the time he spent supporting R&B acts--most notably Little Richard--is all over that piece, and he didn't even write it. The depth of the guy boggles the mind, yet people think "Foxy Lady" and "Purple Haze" when they think of him.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...and most of them fail spectacularly. :lol:

Jimi's blues and R&B playing, in particular, is exceptional. Most people think Hendrix and think "Purple Haze" or "The Star-Spangled Banner" and, well, what you get is a bunch of predictable bad rock guitarists doing blow-outs with a whammy bar. But his chordal work is spectacular, and he's one of the most nuanced electric blues players I've ever heard. There's a ton to learn from there, if you know where to look.
Make sure you check out that Little Wing vid. I never understood what was going on there, and now I at least have a sketch.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I appreciate Jimi's talent, but I do not enjoy his music. Different strokes...
That's cool, Matt. I appreciate your talent, but I do not enjoy your music, either. :squint:

(that's a lie)

(I think you're a talent-less butthat. :D)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Actually, when I think Hendrix I think "Red House." Without a doubt, one of the most impressive electric blues recordings ever made--his playing on that one suggests an incredible subtlety, dynamism and emotional connection to his playing (as predictable and overwrought that sounds.)

I do have to agree with the statements about Jimi's skills as an arranger and interpreter, though. He had a very well-developed and effective sense of harmony.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I really don't think there are that many of those types. They're probably 45-year old blueswankers doing cover gigs with signature Hendrix strings. :hsquid:
I had an English teacher in college who was a very cool and intelligent guy, but he firmly believed that Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitarist who has ever lived. And, while I love Hendrix's music, I couldn't have disagreed more, but the dude was in his mid 50s and was set in his mindset. "Well, he was definitely a great guitarist and a true innovator, but I think you mean that he's your favorite guitarist when you say he's the 'greatest'..."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts