1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
That's the only car I want smoking.

·
CA Manager / RHLC
1,399 Posts
I'm really curious about the "lighter than steel but could withstand 10x the impact without denting." It honestly sounds like horseshit to me (even though I support more widespread usage of hemp) because every time someone throws that fact out there they don't have any numbers to back it up with :shrug:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I'm really curious about the "lighter than steel but could withstand 10x the impact without denting." It honestly sounds like horseshit to me (even though I support more widespread usage of hemp) because every time someone throws that fact out there they don't have any numbers to back it up with :shrug:
It probably is true. But do you want a body panel that doesn't deform? Something so stiff will more readily shear than deform, which means in an accident instead of absorbing and dissipating energy rather than transmitting it to you, it just snaps and leaves you to plough into the wall?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the numbers were confirmed by Popular Mechanics so add whatever credence you like to them.

They make hempcrete too and lot of other things, not Ford LOL

What about in the aeronautics industry, lighter is better right, stronger is better right?? what about in submarines? Bike frames building structures??? unless it a fire hazard, I guess whey could fire proof it?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Dirty hippies have been talking about the glory of hemp for years. Now, I fucking hate hippies, but hemp does seem to be a useful material.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carbon fiber has replaced it. it's even light, stronger, and absorbs energy in a crash.

Hemp is therefore obsolete
Okay good point, but what does carbon fiber cost? is it used instead of steal in many applications and really even though your correct I guess? and I respect your point, hemp could have been used for many thing before the advent of carbon fiber and would have had to have been used to be made obsolete. Also what is the environmental impact of both materials?

I am trying to kick this thread to death man.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
CF is expensive, yes. Since everything on earth is basically carbon-based anyway, i don't see how it has much of any environmental impact. In fact, the smelting process of steal probably produces more o2 than making CF does

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CF is expensive, yes. Since everything on earth is basically carbon-based anyway, i don't see how it has much of any environmental impact. In fact, the smelting process of steal probably produces more o2 than making CF does
I meant processing the stuff, and not against steel against the environmental impact of processing the hemp. I guess there would be a lot involved in both, but I figure the Hemp might be cleaner and cost a lot less, it would however take away ground that could be use to feed folks and that's where I think the bio fuels unsustainable. cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts