Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the "proper" way to make tea?

In Douglas Adams "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", he mentions at one point about how your supposed to add the milk first so you dont scald it, or something to that effect. I'v heard some of you bitching about how americans dont let the water boil all the way and thats wrong.

Whats the steps? Do you leave the bag in when you drink it? Do you take it out?
Do you use one of those little tea strainers and buy loose leaf tea? How much milk do you add. Shit like that.

Iv been digging black tea with a shot of milk lately.

And this isnt Racist. I mean, I'm pretty sure its not.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I've always known it to be take the bag out after letting it sit/giving it a few dunks just to speed up the process. I don't think my mom's ever added cream to it, but she'll usually add sugar.

Also, it'd be nationalist not racist. British people aren't a race :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
For me:
Tea first, let sit for 10 seconds, press it against the side of the cup a few times.
Milk
Sugar
Sounds unpleasantly weak. :ugh:

Minimum of 6 minutes brewing time, and use a good strong tea to begin with. A dash of milk once it's brewed. Add a couple of custard cream biscuits and you're ready to fight whatever the world throws at you.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
For me:
Tea first, let sit for 10 seconds, press it against the side of the cup a few times.
Milk
Sugar
:yesway:

This but teabag in for a bit longer.

The whole thing about putting the milk in first is an antiquated measure from the days when cups were poor quality and more likely to crack when hot tea was poured into them. Besides, you have to be ridiculously accurate to know how much milk to pour in if you pour it first, whereas pouring it last you can judge based on colour.

Cassidy said:
Sounds unpleasantly weak.

Minimum of 6 minutes brewing time, and use a good strong tea to begin with. A dash of milk once it's brewed. Add a couple of custard cream biscuits and you're ready to fight whatever the world throws at you.
I applaud your use of custard creams but 6 minutes?!!! 2-4 minutes is recommended on most boxes as if you steep the bag for too long it gets a bitter burnt taste. The only time I would go 6 minutes is for herbal or black teas.

I wouldn't object to 6 minutes steeping personally, but I think you are playing with fire there Lee ... :eek:

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
Minimum of five minutes brewing time, though ten minutes is not uncommon, but I never time it. Those are just estimates. I only drink earl grey, I usually use two bags or more than recommended if I'm using loose-leaf, and I never use milk or sugar. Ever.
Same goes for my coffee. I want it bold and bitter, and would never desecrate a good cup o' joe with cream and sugar.

^

... So is the milk for many. :lol:
:agreed:
Milk in tea is fucked. Just fucked.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Minimum of five minutes brewing time, though ten minutes is not uncommon, but I never time it. Those are just estimates. I only drink earl grey, I usually use two bags or more than recommended if I'm using loose-leaf, and I never use milk or sugar. Ever.
Same goes for my coffee. I want it bold and bitter, and would never desecrate a good cup o' joe with cream and sugar.

:agreed:
Milk in tea is fucked. Just fucked.
:denzel:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.