Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my firewire port on my soundcard is on the fritz. I grabbed and installed a new one, but it requires a 4-pin PCI power cable and while I have a free one coming out of my power source, it's too short by a good 6-8". So, I need a 4-pin internal extension power cable appropriate for a PCI card, like so. Anyone know where I can find one?

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
I can look through my box of parts tonight to see if I have such an extender. If you order it online it'd probably be $1+$5 shipping or something.

It's just a power cable, though, so if you're handy with a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing it's easy to extend.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Cut it and solder in more wire? :lol: I looked around, and best I could find were splitter cables that took the MOLEX connector(the larger one) and split off to another MOLEX and the smaller one like you have pictured.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't install pickups, I suck with a soldering iron. :(

If you can point me to a link online, I'd be happy to just grab one that way. :yesway:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
He wants the 4-pin 'aux power' connection, not the 3-pin fan. I'm having trouble finding a simple extension in any of the usual places :scratch:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other thing I'm wondering is, I assume this card needs to be powered because some Firewire devices can be powered over the cable. My Firepod is self-powered, though, so is it possible I can use the card without having it on a power source? I haven't even tried booting up the computer since I've installed it because I know shit about computers and I don't want to fuck it up, but...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My guess is that you're right, and the power connection is just for powering Firewire devices. There's no way the Firewire chipset itself is pulling enough current to need a separate power lead, and there's no way there's a cooling fan on there.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
BTW, that's the same connection that a floppy drive uses - if you still have one, is its cable long enough to reach?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
That's for a 4-wire PWM fan - compare it closely, and you'll see the little plastic bits on the female end are the wrong shape.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's for a 4-wire PWM fan - compare it closely, and you'll see the little plastic bits on the female end are the wrong shape.
Fucker. :lol:

I think I'll call the manufacturer after work tonight and confirm that it's only for Firewire devices that require power, and I can use it safely with ones that don't without having it on the power source.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Drew, you won't damage anything by trying it without power plugged in. It'll either work, or not. No need to call the manufacturer and waste that amount of time, just give it a shot.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Keep in mind my relationship with computers is to assume they're small African deities that don't respond to logic, but rather ritual - light some incense, burn a few candles, dim the lights, chant in tongues for a bit, then reboot and see what happens. :lol:

I'll give it a try tonight. :D

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Generally the only time not plugging in a power connection is going to hurt is when it's powering a fan. Otherwise, things will have a tendency to not work, rather than blow up :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts