Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I couldn't figure out how to post them in a PM, and someone else might want to hear it too anyway. Recorded these ages ago when I first got the Mesa.

JS2000 through Mesa DC-5, clean:

clean channel + boost pulled:

Gain channel, GEQ engaged:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

argh... I have to wait till I get home from work to listen to it. Android is not letting me click the links.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

DP

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Bummer. They're Flash, iirc.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts

I have flash on my Droid.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Cool stuff, Jeff. \m/ For some reason I'm always really surprised by your playing when I hear it, it's very different from what I'd expect, for some reason. Kind of rock-y, but in a good way, almost...

Anyway, those clean sounds, especially, are awesome. I'm listening to these on earbuds on a laptop with a shitty sound card, so I'll check again when I get home.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I have flash on my Droid.
Me too, but it doesn't work for me most of the time, so I turned it off.

Works for me, Zepp. Nice cleans, Jeff. :yesway: And I love DC-series distortion.
Thanks, Soop. I really like the range this amp goes in just two channels.

Cool stuff, Jeff. \m/ For some reason I'm always really surprised by your playing when I hear it, it's very different from what I'd expect, for some reason. Kind of rock-y, but in a good way, almost...

Anyway, those clean sounds, especially, are awesome. I'm listening to these on earbuds on a laptop with a shitty sound card, so I'll check again when I get home.
Thanks Drew! I need to do something new; I eq it differently now, less scooped on the GEQ these days so the GEQ almost acts as a slightly scooped boost.

As for the playing, well it doesn't get much attention these days either with two kids, but I do what I can. :) I've been really into the PT/King's X/Karnivool/Nuno vein the last few years, so it tends to be more rock-ish than metal.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts

Got it to work. Fuck Droid copy/paste. The tones sounded great dude. The distorted tones did not have the low end that id like to hear, but overall it sounded very full, I dig! How does it handle the heavy?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Got it to work. Fuck Droid copy/paste. The tones sounded great dude. The distorted tones did not have the low end that id like to hear, but overall it sounded very full, I dig! How does it handle the heavy?
Thanks! It handles heavy pretty well; hopefully I'll do some baritone stuff this weekend. The low end was a little lacking due to how I had dialed the amp; I was boom-phobic, so I probably cut the bass a little too much.

I was verrrry close to buying a Mesa Express not too long ago. :agreed:
The Express is NOT a DC. Not even close. :noway:
:agreed:

It has the same heritage, Drew. I realize the Express is more of an F-series in sound.
Not really, actually. It's kinda funny how I happened upon the DC. I really wanted a Mesa combo, because I like the overall sound and features. I wanted a 2 channel 50 watter, and generally used to buying new, I looked at the Express. The Express has got a great clean and crunch, but really runs out of steam in the gain area. It is a pretty smooth gain, however. I decided not to get it because of the lack of gain, and am generally not a big OD pedal user.

So I bought a used F-50, and promptly sold it. The EQ is (IMO) useless, and while the clean was once again stunning the gain just didn't appeal to me. It didn't get the singing lead tone that the Express does.

So I waited, and finally got my hands on the DC, which has the ability to do pretty good Recto-ish rhythms but with a more singing lead than what the F could muster. Plus it had the awesome cleans, the pull boost, and the GEQ, which makes a HUGE difference.

I've been ready to sell it a couple times, once in favor of a ROV and then a Mark V. But honestly even the Mark doesn't sound that much better, at least to my ears.

In my opinion, Mesa needs to take the Express, remove the contour knobs and replace it with GEQ, and then make the DC's gain channel the Express's "burn" mode. Leave everything else the same, including the 5 watt feature.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts

Jeff, thanks a ton for digging this up for me, and I would really appreciate it if you do decide to record more clips. I'm mostly curious how well the Palmer can do tones suitable for doom or goth music.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Jeff, thanks a ton for digging this up for me, and I would really appreciate it if you do decide to record more clips. I'm mostly curious how well the Palmer can do tones suitable for doom or goth music.
uh......well I will try, but since I don't remotely play those styles, I'll just do some low tuned stuff and hopefully you'll get a good enough idea. :D

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Listening to it on my computer now. Sounds better on these speakers since the Droid's speakers can't do the low end very well.

Sounds convincing as hell to me!

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Yeah man that's about right. Awesome units for home recording, fitted with attenuator/load-box/whatever you wanna call it to so it's just direct in from your amp head. I've wanted one for ages but I rarely see them in this country second-hand! :(

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Now to find out how to afford one :lol:

I'm surprised by how clear that thing sounds, and it has a nice character to it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts