Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there dudes and dudettes! How are you? My name is Mark and, this is my first post here...

My question is:

- Recently i purchased a guitar that came with an EMG 81 and a Fernandes Sustainer...But, some hours after taking it home, i noticed the high E string had it's volume much lower than the other five strings, which all sound normal...Do you know what problem this may be and it's possible solution? Have you ever had or heard about this? The problem is in both pickups, it being worse on the Sustainer...

I know it isn't battery, and not even it's quality, since i'm using top notch alkaline batteries...

Thanks for the concern of those who answer...Cheers!

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
I would have sworn just by looking at the title, this was a Rocka thread

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
How does it sound next to the others, acoustically? EMGs (and likely Sustainers as well) have bar magnets and poles (think X2n), which means volume level at the pickup should be identical anywhere along it's width, which means the volume difference likely is coming from a restriction at either the nut or bridge saddle.

Check the bridge and nut for any burrs or grooves the string might be sitting in, and replace either part accordingly. Also check the string itself, it could be bent or damaged (near the saddle, ball end or winding) and change it accordingly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does it sound next to the others, acoustically? EMGs (and likely Sustainers as well) have bar magnets and poles (think X2n), which means volume level at the pickup should be identical anywhere along it's width, which means the volume difference likely is coming from a restriction at either the nut or bridge saddle.

Check the bridge and nut for any burrs or grooves the string might be sitting in, and replace either part accordingly. Also check the string itself, it could be bent or damaged (near the saddle, ball end or winding) and change it accordingly.
It sounds at the same volume...I thought it could be something at the bridge or nut too but, there aren't any defects in placing or hardware...This is the third new string i used in it (thinking it could be the string)...The guitar is brand new too...

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Odd. The pickups the same height and even? Try changing the battery? Could also be something filtering out higher frequency, either faulty pot or cap or something on the amp side.

Like I said, the EMG at least, I know is just one long magnet and two long steel bars as poles. No mechanism inside the pickup itself to hear the strings any different from one to the next.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Odd. The pickups the same height and even? Try changing the battery? Could also be something filtering out higher frequency, either faulty pot or cap or something on the amp side.

Like I said, the EMG at least, I know is just one long magnet and two long steel bars as poles. No mechanism inside the pickup itself to hear the strings any different from one to the next.
I did...I think it can only be something defective in the circuitry...The batteries i tried three good ones (all alcaline, of two major brands) and nothing...Gonna try and search for a qualified professional now, it's tough...But thanks for trying to help...

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Shot in the dark... put the pickup on reverse where now the original Low E position should be on the High E (if possible of course) and now if the High E sounds lower compared to the other strings then its the pickup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts