Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you live in the US, you're a lot more exposed to it than you think. Don't think I'm a huge advocate against it because it's just impossible to avoid it 100%. I do eat foods and snacks that have it, but I keep a close monitor of how much I ingest which isn't much. Every once in awhile, I gotta have a Reese PB Cup or something.

I've joined the facebook group (The Ban against HCFS in the US) because it it's very informative and reminds me of the dangers of it (if it's constantly consumed). Although I do believe that it's up to each and every person themselves to monitor their intake, there's just too many products in the US that contain this ingredient.

Today, they post a link and I'm a little crushed after I read it. I'm posting a different one just because it has a link on their to subway's own site for reference purposes. Subway Bread has More High Fructose Corn Syrup Than Whole Grains

I love subway, too :(

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
When Pepsi released its Throwback Mountain Dew, I bought 17 x 12pk 12oz cans. That stuff just tastes better with real sugar than with HFCS.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh definitely. HFCS has a bitter aftertaste that most people don't realize. If you compare to throwback, it then becomes obvious.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I don't think a ban on HFCS is likely to happen, nor is it necessary. It's not really an issue in reasonable amounts. Stuff like Sweet-N-Lo is probably much worse, and I avoid that shit like the plague. That said, I'd love to see it used in a lot fewer products, and I'm willing to pay a little more for products sweetened with real sugar. Maybe if we stopped subsidizing corn, the issue would work itself out.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
They're generally more synthetic (not that HFCS is right from nature) and have a more chemically and disgusting taste. I generally feel just a little sick when I drink something with those kinds of artificial sweeteners in it. I could be wrong, though.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My uncle recently found out he has a corn allergy, and thus can't have any HFCS. It's really hard for him to find things to eat.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Do you know how HFCS is synthesized? It is not natural. No more than aspartame is.

Aspartame rebranded as a natural sweetener.fuckmesilly.com

For that matter, the sugar we eat is also refined significantly. But in the end, HFCS does get a pretty bad rap. It ends up in your blood as 55% fructose/45% sucrose, aka "high fructose" corn syrup. Its effect on blood sugar levels is slightly worse than table sugar because it contains slightly more fructose, the simplest and most fast-acting carbohydrate. It also follows a different metabolic path in your body and basically goes straight to your liver for processing (not good news for munching drunkards).

Past that, there's nothing horribly evil about it... well, other than the billions of dollars the corn lobby (yes :lol:) receives from Congress every year to subsidize the stuff.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Its common sense. If it is artificial it was never meant to go into your body.
There are some artificial meds that are supposed to go into your body, and there are certainly some natural compounds that shouldn't.

It's not so simple or cut and dry.

Sweet and Low is nasty shit though.

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
My uncle recently found out he has a corn allergy, and thus can't have any HFCS. It's really hard for him to find things to eat.
I feel his pain 100%. I'm also allergic to corn and until I found out I had no idea how much corn was in my diet. I cant even find bread without some corn in it!

I can understand why companies like to use it as opposed to sugar. Not only is it cheaper for them, but corn syrup also lengthens shelf life. That's why you'll find it in breads, canned goods & even hot dogs. Fucking sucks.

I highly doubt there will be a ban on HFCS although there is a strong number of people who avoid it at all costs. Certain companies like Green Way are going the more organic route and offering products without HFCS.

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
I feel his pain 100%. I'm also allergic to corn and until I found out I had no idea how much corn was in my diet. I cant even find bread without some corn in it!
Maybe get a bread maker, that way you can control the ingredients and even make some delicious random breads based around ingredients you aren't allergic to. I have some banana and pumpkin bread recipes that make me cry with joy.

I don't think outright banning it is really necessary, but it would be nice if it wasn't as common. I really don't like HFCS sodas, I really miss the coke with sugar. It tastes different too me. I pretty much just drink grape juice anyway, it has way more sugar than most sodas and none of the annoying carbonation.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

^interesting fact: coca cola in mexico uses real sugar because its cheaper to use real sugar in Mexico.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts