Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does such a thing exist? I ask because I've strung my Strat with heavy strings, and have found that the tremolo will not stay flush to the body (as I like it), despite my adding two more springs in the cavity.

If such a thing does exist, post away. :D

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)metal:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can also just snip off a coil or two from the existing springs and re-bend the loop at the claw end of the spring.

I assume your claw is already screwed all the way in?

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MIJ G.Gotoh Tremolo Power Spring Set (3) - eBay (item 250675272754 end time Mar-28-11 01:44:08 PDT)

2 of these will do 10s in E. 3 would probably do 12s. 5 of them would possibly pull the earth flat. :lol:
Thanks, Tosh. If those springs are as strong as you say they are, then they're just the ticket. :cheers:

Wirelessly posted :)metal:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can also just snip off a coil or two from the existing springs and re-bend the loop at the claw end of the spring.

I assume your claw is already screwed all the way in?
I could try that. Yeah, the claw is right up against the back of the tremolo cavity.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It might do. If any of them are touching the base plate then they could be pulling the trem forward slightly. I have mine set up with none of the screws touching it, with 4 springs and 10's in E.
I loosened them off. Problem solved. :wub:

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Well, that's a necro bump!

The original post was talking about a Fender style bridge, not a double locking trem.

With your trem, if the claw is in as far as it can go, and the bridge is still sticking up when tuned up, then you'll want some tougher springs. Or you can shorten the existing ones, like Darren suggested.
Wait someone finally does a search before posting on a problem and we question him? Wow talk about a catch 22 LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts