Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
I keep opening this thread expecting the OP to start with,

IN THE BEGINNING THERE WAS NO TONE, ONLY LESSER CIRCUITS WARRING IN PRIMORDIAL CHAOS, THEN A PROPHECIZED MESSIAH OF SILICON WAS BORN, PIECED TOGETHER BY WIZARDS OF SOLDERY
Ok, Greg, now you have to keep going. I want to read your copy of this History Channel script.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
As is fucking proper. :metal:

My 4th /6/ is the resonance knob, because I'm a filthy bedroom hero. :lol:
You gotta pair it with a Strymon Big Sky to make up for what the 5150 lacks in cleans (and leads, depending on your tastes/preferences/amount of gain desired). It's weird using a pedal more expensive than the amp, but that combination is pretty much unbeatable.

That being said, while Peavey gear is super reliable/tough, the Mesa stuff is higher build quality/tougher/higher quality components. (Rivera stuff is even slightly better built than Mesa stuff IMO) Which is worth mentioning, because any amp discussion here is either centered around 5150s or Mesas, and the Mesa fanatics probably feel left out in this thread.

The majority of people here are probably running it through OS Mesa designs (Recto 412s or 212s), but the 5150 is also highly underrated into Marshall spec cabs (or Mesa Stilettos, I still miss my stiletto 212, best sounding cab I've ever owned).

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
6/6/6 also works on JCM800's FYI :lol:

The fact that the 6534+ never really took off bums me out, because it means they're super hard to find. They sound so damn good.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
The Egnater was nice, and had some cool features, but it was a little too polite sounding, and I always thought about that 6534+ I tried :lol:

Now I just want to try a Mesa Triple Crown.
The TC looks neat but all the demos I've seen are like just produced songs so hard to tell what the amp is actually like you know. I've been wanting a 6534+ too since budda talks about how they are amazing in every post :lol:

·
Registered
927 Posts
6/6/6 also works on JCM800's FYI :lol:

The fact that the 6534+ never really took off bums me out, because it means they're super hard to find. They sound so damn good.
Its a shame that Peavey did not design it to where you can pick and choose what kind of power amp tubes you can use with it. Hell, they did it for the XXX and the JSX (i think). Hell, even a company like Bugera lets you pick and choose what power amp tube you can use.

·
18,790 Posts
Its a shame that Peavey did not design it to where you can pick and choose what kind of power amp tubes you can use with it. Hell, they did it for the XXX and the JSX (i think). Hell, even a company like Bugera lets you pick and choose what power amp tube you can use.
Yeah, but the 6534+ wasn't just a 6505+ with EL34s, they tweaked the preamp and stuff as well.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Since I just got one and been going down the rabbit hole, I want to make a video on the history and the difference between each amp.
Don't. If there's any demographic more anal about minute gear details than hardcore Periphery fans, it's hardcore EVH fans, and if they happen to stuble across a video with - from their perspective, no offense - some djent kid talking about the history of the 5150... well, hell hath no fury.

I mean, over and above our long-term suggestion to play more and worry about producing videos less... This is a very, very, very bad idea, and unless you have the chops and vibe of EVH down cold, one I wouldn't even have the balls to touch because I know I couldn't pull it off to their satisfaction. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Don't. If there's any demographic more anal about minute gear details than hardcore Periphery fans, it's hardcore EVH fans, and if they happen to stuble across a video with - from their perspective, no offense - some djent kid talking about the history of the 5150... well, hell hath no fury.

I mean, over and above our long-term suggestion to play more and worry about producing videos less... This is a very, very, very bad idea, and unless you have the chops and vibe of EVH down cold, one I wouldn't even have the balls to touch because I know I couldn't pull it off to their satisfaction. :lol:
I thought this a bit too, but it's not the end of the world or anything if Lucas does a video. :lol: I mean, the info in the OP was comparitively light compared to what you would find in a Rig Talk thread, but no real harm done. I think Lucas contributes to the Gear Gods site thing, maybe people would like it, who knows.

But yeah, if you want info, Rig-Talk is the place to go. I don't know if that forum is as active as it once was, and I haven't posted there as years (even longer in regards to non FS posts), but all of the amp info you can find there is very high quality. Off the top of my head, OP was missing any mention of fixed bias and a couple other things.

Modded 5150s were very popular for a time too. Don't remember who did most of them, FJA maybe?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I thought this a bit too, but it's not the end of the world or anything if Lucas does a video. :lol: I mean, the info in the OP was comparitively light compared to what you would find in a Rig Talk thread, but no real harm done. I think Lucas contributes to the Gear Gods site thing, maybe people would like it, who knows.

But yeah, if you want info, Rig-Talk is the place to go. I don't know if that forum is as active as it once was, and I haven't posted there as years (even longer in regards to non FS posts), but all of the amp info you can find there is very high quality. Off the top of my head, OP was missing any mention of fixed bias and a couple other things.

Modded 5150s were very popular for a time too. Don't remember who did most of them, FJA maybe?
I'm mostly concerned about the level of flaming he's going to get from a bunch of angry 80s hair metalheads. :lol:

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Don't. If there's any demographic more anal about minute gear details than hardcore Periphery fans, it's hardcore EVH fans, and if they happen to stuble across a video with - from their perspective, no offense - some djent kid talking about the history of the 5150... well, hell hath no fury. :lol:
:rofl: They will get down to the details of filterless vs filtered cigarette stains on a headstock Lucas, dont do it man!!!

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'm mostly concerned about the level of flaming he's going to get from a bunch of angry 80s hair metalheads. :lol:
Nah, obviously there's a huge portion of that circuit design that are fans because of the Van Halen connection, but after the Sneap era, there are loads and loads of 5150 devotees who don't give a fuck about Van Halen or don't even know who they are.

The 5150 isn't that popular with 80s guys actually, unless you are a Van Halen fan.

Yes, Lucas milking the "history of the 5150" topic for youtube views won't sit right with some people, but I don't think it's going to be die hard 80s metalheads who are most critical.

·
Honorary MG Djent Ambassador
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My intention isnt to milk "history of the 5150" for views. I was just wondering what the differences between all the different amps were and while the info exist, its all tucked away on forms or hidden behind dead links. I also wont be playing at all in the video lol, its an informational video, which for some reason people seem to think are worse than a djent demo. Plus a lot of younger guys only know what the 5150 is from modelers and not the real amp. You guys act like people actually watch my videos on my page lol. The only place where a majority of the info is that is easy to get to is the wikipedia page and its horrible.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
On the plus side, if you get anything wrong, I'm sure people will tell you :lol:

21 - 40 of 102 Posts