Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I saw this a bit ago. I commented and said, "Someone should scream out, 'Hodi Doooooors!'"

·
Registered
184 Posts
That sounded cool. :yesway:

I'm not a fan of Metallica or Megadeth...but am I nuts for thinking Megadeth is the better band?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
That sounded cool. :yesway:

I'm not a fan of Metallica or Megadeth...but am I nuts for thinking Megadeth is the better band?
Define better. In terms of proficiency on their instruments, Megadeth is mostly the better band. They've always had a better drummer and lead guitarist, the bassists have been about the same (Ellefson is criminally underrated), and Dave has the better left hand, while James has the better right hand. When it comes to consistency, Metallica blows them out of the water; both had debuts of similar worth, but the next three Metallica albums are (mostly) killer from front to back. Megadeth has never come close to that.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Define better. In terms of proficiency on their instruments, Megadeth is mostly the better band. They've always had a better drummer and lead guitarist, the bassists have been about the same (Ellefson is criminally underrated), and Dave has the better left hand, while James has the better right hand. When it comes to consistency, Metallica blows them out of the water; both had debuts of similar worth, but the next three Metallica albums are (mostly) killer from front to back. Megadeth has never come close to that.
:hesright:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
That sounded cool.

:hesright:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
This is spot on.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Metallica's melodic sense is way better though.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Metallica's melodic sense is way better though.
This is certainly one aspect, the other is the better songwriting. I love Megadeth to bits, but there's no denying that their strengths were focused more on being technicians. Metallica's songs were a cut above all the thrash bands that it didn't matter how Lars's drumming wasn't really all that interesting.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
i'd say that rust in peace is a better album than anything metallica has every put out. megadeth have more songs that i give a shit about than metallica too.

they've both probably put out the same amount of trash as well.
If we're going by, say, top five songs for each band, I like Megadeth way more. By album, Master of Puppets is consistently better than Rust in Peace, and Rust in Peace isn't even the best Megadeth album.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
This is certainly one aspect, the other is the better songwriting. I love Megadeth to bits, but there's no denying that their strengths were focused more on being technicians. Metallica's songs were a cut above all the thrash bands that it didn't matter how Lars's drumming wasn't really all that interesting.
Lars actually did do a lot of really interesting things early on. Battery comes to mind, with snare/bass pattern that is reversed, making it sound out of phase with the riff. That's such a simple guitar riff that is made tricky to play by the drums. The Black album isn't my favorite, but his tom work on was killer on it. It was also always neat to really be able to hear what the rhythm guitar is doing, since Lars never overstuffed the drums like so many other thrash bands.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts