Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hogweed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A buddy of mine posted some Facebook pics of him giving a lecture on why this plant is rather unfriendly. I had no idea it was such an asskicker. :lol:

Giant Hogweed Heracleum mantegazzianum A native of the Caucasus Mountains, grows to 4-5m tall, and can cause severe phytophotodermatitis if the sap gets on human skin. The main mechanism for this dermatitis is extreme photosensitivity, causing severe sunburn on exposure to relatively small amounts of sunlight, with rash and blistering appearing within a few minutes: accordingly immediately covering sap-affected skin can prevent the dermatitis in many cases. It has become a serious invasive weed in many areas of Europe and North America, after being introduced as a garden plant.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I've been wondering... What's the name of that plant from that myth/story/whatever that's supposed to kill you when you pull it out of the ground? The cruelest part of what I remember is that they used to tie it onto a dog's tail so the dog would die pulling it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

·
Theory Guy
214 Posts

I've been wondering... What's the name of that plant from that myth/story/whatever that's supposed to kill you when you pull it out of the ground? The cruelest part of what I remember is that they used to tie it onto a dog's tail so the dog would die pulling it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
You're thinking mandrake, genus Mandragora. The thing about people dying from pulling it out is bullshit. The plant is full of tropane alkaloids, though, which can be lethal when consumed, and also cause some crazy delirium in non-lethal doses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake_(plant)

There's a ton of solanaceous plants that have those tropane alkaloids and interesting mythologies around them.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Thanks!! It's been one of those things that I've been passively trying to figure out for years. Yeah, I figured it was just a wives-tale thing about it. I'll prolly forget it again here shortly and start wondering all over again :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.