Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone look into doing this? From what I understand, ZWave is the best:

ZWave Commander - iPhone/iPad/iPod/Android ZWave Controller

With ZWave, you get a standalone hardware router, and they have some extremely cool shit. Like setting your thermostat, or zwave deadbolts - basically you could unlock your house with your phone.

Initially I'm looking to just do lights, and to run a multi-room media server, but this seems a lot cooler than the X10 stuff, which is generally considered shit in most circles. (Their API is easy to work with, however)

There's also this:

http://www.smarthome.com/iphone_apps.html

Which requires a dedicated server, but you can hit it via the web, and do things like adjust your thermostat remotely.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Anyone look into doing this? From what I understand, ZWave is the best:

ZWave Commander - iPhone/iPad/iPod/Android ZWave Controller

With ZWave, you get a standalone hardware router, and they have some extremely cool shit. Like setting your thermostat, or zwave deadbolts - basically you could unlock your house with your phone.

Initially I'm looking to just do lights, and to run a multi-room media server, but this seems a lot cooler than the X10 stuff, which is generally considered shit in most circles. (Their API is easy to work with, however)

There's also this:

Control Lights, Temperature and More with an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch

Which requires a dedicated server, but you can hit it via the web, and do things like adjust your thermostat remotely.
If I owned my home I would be all over this. :yesway: Really cool stuff.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Let me know how this goes, I've been thinking about doing something similar.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
I made sure my house is ready for home automation, but the cost of that stuff was 5x that of a regular system so I'll wait a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts