Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In that I have some ghost chilis on the way, I figured I should learn how to make hot sauce now so that I'm ready.

Has anyone ever made their own? I think I remember DelfinoPie doing it, but a search turned up nothing. I'm going loosely off a recipe I found in the most recent Bon Appetite, tweaked a bit - they call for pureeing about a pound of destemmed peppers with 2tsp of kosher salt, letting them sit in a loosely closed glass jar for about 12 hours at room temperature to ferment slightly, then adding about 1 1/2c distilled vinegar and letting sit at room temperature for 1-7 days longer. I'll be doing this, loosely, but I changed the ingredients a little - I used one large (and tasty, but VERY hot) habanero, six serrano (I think - they look like jalepenos but red) peppers, and maybe 2/3 as much by weight carrot and two large cloves of garlic, both sauteed in a bit of olive oil first to mellow and fill out the garlic flavor and sweeten the carrots a little.

I've got it sitting out covered now - a quick taste suggested that it's got a nice but not overpowering heat (probably just shy of the 100% Pain sauce in my fridge that I just finished, whose jar is getting commandeered for this project), but a TON of flavor to it.

Any tips on preparation or preservation?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I know fuck all about it, but I wish you the best success in your endeavor so that I may try some! :D

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
That sounds like a good start. I don't know much about preservation other than mild temperatures, out of the light, and definitely refrigerated once opened.

I actually just bought a bottle the other day that is out of sight. It's one of the better hot sauces I've had in quite some time, but HOT! It's made with the scorpion peppers, and I did not know that they had quite the hot reputation that they have.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually just bought a bottle the other day that is out of sight. It's one of the better hot sauces I've had in quite some time, but HOT! It's made with the scorpion peppers, and I did not know that they had quite the hot reputation that they have.
Hmm... What's it called?

Chris, the Bon Appetite recipe says it should keep for four months, and I doubt subbing in some carrots and garlic will change that. If it doesn't suck, you're on. :yesway:

Speaking of which, at some point we should talk beef jerky.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
It's just a sauce made for a local seafood place here, but holy shit is it hot, and tasty! It's definitely got the slow creeper burn, but for chili heads it's definitely manageable.

Dude, I'd love to try that. They don't sell it online though do they?

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I don't think so. If you're not too far from St. Augustine, they have a couple of killer hot sauce and spice stores there, definitely worth checking out.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I've made my own sauce a few times, and you sound good to go Drew. I go with something similar without all the 'let it sit for days' bits, though I also tend to add the juice of half a lime. (I was going to say 'I squeeze in half a lime', but I thought it invited the obvious 'that's what she said' so I changed it :) )

If you want, take about a third of it and strain it so it is more mush than liquid - it goes well on anything you might want to broil, but beef and chicken breasts especially.

As for bottled sauce I have about 40 different kinds but only use Sontava XX these days as it is far and away my all time favorite.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yeah, that 100% Pain stuff is awesome, isn't it? I've been out of that one for quite a while.
So far, that's my overall favorite for the balance of heat and flavor. IT's just awesome.

Jim - the recipe I'm following suggests 1-7 days because it "deepens the flavors." I have no idea if it's true or not (or if the same thing wouldn't happen if you pureed everything and then tossed it in the fridge for a week) but they recommend tasting daily and it DOES taste different now than it did the first day. The vinegar is less overpowering, for one.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
So far, that's my overall favorite for the balance of heat and flavor. IT's just awesome.

Jim - the recipe I'm following suggests 1-7 days because it "deepens the flavors." I have no idea if it's true or not (or if the same thing wouldn't happen if you pureed everything and then tossed it in the fridge for a week) but they recommend tasting daily and it DOES taste different now than it did the first day. The vinegar is less overpowering, for one.
I just remembered I have 1-7 days coming up :) I was going to spend them either working or drinking car bombs but sounds like a little experimenting might be fun. I guess it's like making pico or even soup, you always try to make it the day before you need it so the flavors meld into something that isn't simply the individual flavors anymore.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Big +1 here. If for whatever reason either I ever buy a piece of gear off you or vice versa, a bottle of this HAS to be part of the deal. :yesway:

Jim - let me know how it goes! I've decided four days is enough for now, so I'm about to pop downstairs, bust out a blender, and filter the concoction into a Frank's Redhot bottle I commandeered for the purpose.:D

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Big +1 here. If for whatever reason either I ever buy a piece of gear off you or vice versa, a bottle of this HAS to be part of the deal. :yesway:

Jim - let me know how it goes! I've decided four days is enough for now, so I'm about to pop downstairs, bust out a blender, and filter the concoction into a Frank's Redhot bottle I commandeered for the purpose.:D
Invite Chris over and have a tasting pic story :agreed: or make Colin your tasting Guinea pig (tell him it is alcohol - he will drink it)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Colin moved out two years ago, man. :lol: And Chris definitely wants to give it a try. It's not uber spicy, though - pretty flavorful, but not quite as hot as the all-habanero 100% Pain I compared it to.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Batch one in the bag.

Looks deceptively like Redhot, in the unmarked bottle (in truth the color is a lot oranger though you wouldn't notice unless you put them side by side). It's not uber hot, but has a pleasant delayed kick and a nice hint of sweetness from the habanero and the carrots.

Batch #2 will follow a similar recipe, I suspect, but with spicier peppers - the jalapenos would have been fine on their own, probably, but the carrots cooled the sauce off a bit. A carrot/habanero would be a much better blend, I suspect.

Still, this would make a kickass base for buffalo wings. :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just compared this to a couple other sauces in the fridge - honestly, for a first attempt, this is pretty damned good, with a ton of flavor and a very appealing lingering burn. I can't recommend trying this enough for any other hot sauce nuts. :yesway:

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
It's a beautiful color, and it looks really fresh. It looks a lot like that carrot juice from bolthouse farms

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
It's just a sauce made for a local seafood place here, but holy shit is it hot, and tasty! It's definitely got the slow creeper burn, but for chili heads it's definitely manageable.

Just got a Bottle of this is the mail from Jaxadam here, Thanks by the way. :yesway:

But I was NOT expecting it to be as hot as it is :lol: Mouth is still burning ;lol:

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
Yeah, dude, it was me you were thinking about.

Generally with the hot sauces I posted before, it was very simple and more of a relish than a sauce. I'd simply throw a handful of scotch bonnets into a blender with salt, pepper, garlic, mango, and papaya. Whizz it all up until quite smooth and that was it.

My sauces (and cooking in general) have improved since then. The last sauce I made was a tomato based BBQ sauce so included: passata, molasses, salt, pepper, Kraken rum, smoked paprika, onions, celery, garlic, red bell peppers, and 11 whole scotch bonnets (de-stemmed, obviously). All put in to a sauce pan (not all at once, mind) and cooked until lovely, thick and velvety - like a fat bird's minge.

I made the sauce for a surprise birthday I was going to and the girl whose birthday it was doesn't actually like spicy stuff, so I made a tame version (exactly the same sans-bonnets) and so labelled the one with the chillies in "This sauce goes up to 11"

Was tasty, not too hot but had a bit of a kick to it after a second or two of sweet, rum filled flavours, and went really well with the cider-braised pulled pork and coleslaw recipe I gave to my mate (said girl's boyfriend).

Your sauce has an awesome colour to it! I really want to try to make something with fatalii or Trinidad Scorpion chillies.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts