Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An OD designed for metal with a Decimator-style gate built in? This is very interesting.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I'm surprised you beat Misha to it with talking about his stuff. (We know what he's like with the :nope: and run tactics here)
I'm not too phased by the pedal, it sounds cool, but its feel isn't that different from a Dead Horse. The idea of that without so much noise is cool though.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hasnt that been done? A lot?
Absolutely. I'm just thinking selfishly that I'd like a tubescreamer style OD with a gate. Combining the two pedals would free up a space in my rack, as I rack my pedals.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Nah.

$250. After the preorder discount ends.

But it has some extra features compared to a Tubescreamer. Something similar to the Tight knob on the Airis Savage Drive, and a built-in noise gate.

And it's built by MXR, so it won't be shit like the Protones.
Except, if it said MXR on the front, it would be $150 tops.

Sorry, I don't think that pedal is worth the price tag, at all. :lol:

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I think in Canadian dollars but would a mxr od plus noise gate be more than 250?
Well, in US$ a Custom Baddass OD is about $99, and an MXR Noise Clamp is $89. Which leaves you about $60 to buy a phasor. ;)

I don't know many people who don't already own a gate that play metal, though.

I just think it's overpriced; if you wanna buy it, I'm not stopping you. :lol:

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
I've already seen one or two guys on the UK Facebook gear exchanges put up their old protone pedals for sale, for £200 saying they are funding these new horizon ones.

They may be over priced but they will sell.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Well, in US$ a Custom Baddass OD is about $99, and an MXR Noise Clamp is $89. Which leaves you about $60 to buy a phasor. ;)

I don't know many people who don't already own a gate that play metal, though.

I just think it's overpriced; if you wanna buy it, I'm not stopping you. :lol:
With the badass and noise gate I have two options at the biggest music chain in Canada. Going with the cheapest in both models you are right I save 70 USD but if I get the expensive version of the two pedals I save 12 USD.

So for me the question becomes how good is the OD and noise gate and do I care to pay a premium for a player's signature/name on it.

I don't have much interest in the pedal but I think we have all paid a premium for having a star's name on a piece of gear and I can see people being able to justify it for themselves.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I've already seen one or two guys on the UK Facebook gear exchanges put up their old protone pedals for sale, for £200 saying they are funding these new horizon ones.

They may be over priced but they will sell.
They turned Periphery into a marketing machine and it seems to be working decently well. I'm wondering what other artists will be getting on board with the new company.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Except, if it said MXR on the front, it would be $150 tops.

Sorry, I don't think that pedal is worth the price tag, at all. :lol:
:agreed:

I wish Misha all the best. He seems like a nice guy, and I've been casually following his shenanigans since the JP forum days.

But........fuck this pedal. It's an MXR for $250. Even EVH's pedal is only $200 (with a built-in noise gate).

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I've overpaid for pedals before over voodoo/mystique/intangibles, so I don't think the price is too-too out there. It's definitely marketed at the population of people who bought into he and his bandmate's previous endorsements ($$$), for whatever that's worth.

I have no real use for an OD at the moment but I could potentially be interested in one of these when they his the used market, depending.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Well the $250 for the MXR is way better than the $200 something I paid for the protone one. Pedal sounded awesome but the paint was sooo shity. It never left my house and pealed.
I'm curious why the MXR will be $250, but even the EVH5150 pedal from MXR is just $200, also with a built-in gate. No one markets like Eddie. :D

1 - 20 of 78 Posts