Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I am pretty sure the price is reasonable for what amounts to a semi-custom MXR pedal. Made in small batches with custom graphics and circuit design, they don't cost as much as a one-off booteek pedal, but these are substantially more than an off-the-rack Custom Badass OD or whatever you'd like to compare to.

Further, if Misha isn't putting at least $20 into his pocket with each one sold, I'm not sure why he's bothering.

The pricing makes sense, and if the style and features appealed to you then you'd possibly be interested. For some of us old boys it doesn't add up.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I am pretty sure the price is reasonable for what amounts to a semi-custom MXR pedal. Made in small batches with custom graphics and circuit design, they don't cost as much as a one-off booteek pedal, but these are substantially more than an off-the-rack Custom Badass OD or whatever you'd like to compare to.

Further, if Misha isn't putting at least $20 into his pocket with each one sold, I'm not sure why he's bothering.

The pricing makes sense, and if the style and features appealed to you then you'd possibly be interested. For some of us old boys it doesn't add up.
As someone who works for an MXR dealer, I disagree. It's greatly overpriced. MXR's usual limited run custom shop stuff is nowhere near this in price. It's a Hammond enclosure, just like everything else, different knobs, and what's likely a modified circuit with a Smart Gate thrown in. Big deal.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I say you're discounting the extra time and effort that goes into making this. Call up MXR and ask how much it would be for a custom combination pedal (2 pedals in one housing) with custom graphics that you supply. I bet more than $250.

It's obviously not groundbreaking technology, it's a tweaked TS clone with a djentgate in front of it. :rofl:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I say you're discounting the extra time and effort that goes into making this. Call up MXR and ask how much it would be for a custom combination pedal (2 pedals in one housing) with custom graphics that you supply. I bet more than $250.

It's obviously not groundbreaking technology, it's a tweaked TS clone with a djentgate in front of it. :rofl:
If it were a little shop, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But this is MXR. I just don't think it would be as much as you think it would be, and the fact that they're initially selling them for $199, than boosting it so much after the initial run kinda shows that, IMO.

I wonder if shops can order a custom run though. Maybe I'll see how much an overdrive costs that only let's you play King Diamond, Testament, and Iron Maiden.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I was discussing making something along these lines a few years ago with MDV and blankplank.

I wonder if I still have the files for the Pcb I drew up. Might actually get around to making it haha

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I'm curious why the MXR will be $250, but even the EVH5150 pedal from MXR is just $200, also with a built-in gate. No one markets like Eddie. :D
Because Misha.

If Misha had nothing to do with this pedal, people wouldn't give a sweet fuck.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Misha aside, who seems like a nice cat, once you start getting into this price range, you push the level of Keeley workstations and such, like the Dark Side which offer a metric shit ton more features and options.

For the level of function here, I just feel like it's $50-$60 overprice.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Well the $250 for the MXR is way better than the $200 something I paid for the protone one. Pedal sounded awesome but the paint was sooo shity. It never left my house and pealed.
Aye, I have a Pro Tone too, I won it in a competition though. I use it daily as it sounds great and does exactly what I want it to, however, that model going for $169 is unjustifiable in my opinion. I've got quite a few chips in the paint, despite the fact that it's never been on stage and the graphics are clearly done with cheap waterslide transfers, not to mention that one of the screws in the back won't sit flush because its hole is wonky.

·
Honorary MG Djent Ambassador
1,129 Posts

demo from namm. Mike Portney's wife and son along with David Mimic can been seen across from Misha. Im also to the left of Joe who is filming it. THe audio drops in during the clip because someone texted misha while the demo was going on lol

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
So apparently one of our old gear-flipper "friends" is claiming in his TGP signature that he "owns" this company. Just an FYI . . .

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
So apparently one of our old gear-flipper "friends" is claiming in his TGP signature that he "owns" this company. Just an FYI . . .
Is that new news? Mehtab got Misha on board for the HD venture. He joined up with Engage to make an (online?) store to sell limited run PRS and Ibanez as well.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts